Snowbirds...where to start. - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: Snowbirds...where to start.

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    114
    If you're gonna pay for flights in the US, hotels, taxis and other transportation to get around, then I'd consider the small RV option for sure. You'll have to do the math on costs, but for me having a vehicle at my disposal is well worth paying a bit more for. For showers, most big truck stops you can buy a shower and do laundry on the cheap, and some will include it for free if you buy a certain amount of fuel.

    When you're done with the trip, you could sell the RV and get some money back. If you're handy, there are lots of options of converting a cargo van on the cheap. You could also pull a small pop trailer if you have a car capable of towing, but they're not as convenient as get up and go.


  2. #12
    Senior Member kcowan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pacific latitude 20/49
    Posts
    4,658
    The choice of an RV limits you to expensive gas and US/Mexico. A snowbird has 7 months to travel and maintain Canadian Health Insurance. Otherwise expatforum.com is a good source of info.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    In all seriousness, southern US is not a very nice place to go. The US also has some ugly tax rules you must be aware of; if you exceed a certain # of days in the US (substantial presence test) you will have all kinds of tax problems because you will be a "US person"! No joke.
    Lol... based on what ? That might be news to the hundreds of thousands of Canadians that go to Florida and Arizona every year. I myself will be spending half of February in southern Georgia and I can assure you it is a damn fine place to get away from Canadian weather.
    "That's what I do, I drink and I know things" - Tyrion Lannister

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
    Lol... based on what ? That might be news to the hundreds of thousands of Canadians that go to Florida and Arizona every year. I myself will be spending half of February in southern Georgia and I can assure you it is a damn fine place to get away from Canadian weather.
    Based on the guy's ignorance.

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,615
    Quote Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
    The choice of an RV limits you to expensive gas and US/Mexico. A snowbird has 7 months to travel and maintain Canadian Health Insurance. Otherwise expatforum.com is a good source of info.

    The trick is to couple the rv with a sailboat, opens up the world...also, health insurance does not need to be an anchor to prevent maximizing retirement years. Nothing worse than croaking on the couch while watching Price is Right reruns lol.

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pacific
    Posts
    7,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
    Lol... based on what ? That might be news to the hundreds of thousands of Canadians that go to Florida and Arizona every year. I myself will be spending half of February in southern Georgia and I can assure you it is a damn fine place to get away from Canadian weather.
    Southern US states have very high crime rates, so that would be my main hesitation personally.

  8. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pacific
    Posts
    7,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelley View Post
    Based on the guy's ignorance.
    I live in the US and have coworkers from places like Georgia and Florida.

    Nelley, how about you, what's the basis for your US "expertise"?

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,393
    Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    I live in the US and have coworkers from places like Georgia and Florida.

    Nelley, how about you, what's the basis for your US "expertise"?
    Jeez Snowflake: Do you not understand there are probably hundreds of persons lurking on this forum who have wintered in the southern US like myself? Of those hundreds, maybe thousands IMO not one wintered in the high crime ghettos of the southern USA. That ain't "expertise" that is called common sense-of which you have none.

  10. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pacific
    Posts
    7,433
    I actually live in the US, and go to business meetings in different states and cities.

  11. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by STech View Post
    If you're gonna pay for flights in the US, hotels, taxis and other transportation to get around, then I'd consider the small RV option for sure. You'll have to do the math on costs, but for me having a vehicle at my disposal is well worth paying a bit more for. For showers, most big truck stops you can buy a shower and do laundry on the cheap, and some will include it for free if you buy a certain amount of fuel.

    When you're done with the trip, you could sell the RV and get some money back. If you're handy, there are lots of options of converting a cargo van on the cheap. You could also pull a small pop trailer if you have a car capable of towing, but they're not as convenient as get up and go.
    Good suggestions
    No need for even a cargo van, lots of people buy a used Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey or even a Caravan. Pull the seats out and either will fit a 4*8 sheet of plywood. This is enough room to make a 4*6 foot platform bed with room underneath for all your storage.- clothes and camping cooking gear. Leaves 2 feet at back for Porta toilet. Available at Canadian tire for about 50.00 that use special bags and or kitty litter. No odour - empty daily - use for nights or emergency. Have curtains to pull for night time. Some people add a sink with water hookup to a water storage bottle. Cooler for food or buy perishables daily.
    As suggested showers in campgrounds or truck stops. Can camp in national forests, on the street, parking lots. Occasional stay in motels to really clean up.

    Not for everyone for sure. Look on you tube for how to.

    Sprinter van or cargo van is for hedonistic types if you want lots of room. :-D

    I know a pair of career, 50+, school teachers who travel all over North America in a converted Sienna. They have camped on the street in downtown Vancouver in it
    When not travelling, the seats go back in and they use it for day to day car.


Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •