My diary - Page 14
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: My diary

Quote Originally Posted by redsgomarching View Post
    50k more to go!!! today has been a good day, have some good gains as well.
    Yeah so far this year the stock market has been on fire. It'll take a breather eventually but at least for now it feels good! I had a mini celebration the other day since the DB pension is worth about 50k so technically we're at a mil already but the big one will come when we'll reach it without counting in the DB.

Here is our summary as at March 31, 2017:
    Investment accounts:
    RRSPs = $463,000
    TFSAs = $155,000
    LIRA = $95,000
    Non-Reg (Employer stock) = $54,000
    Non-Reg (Preferred resets) = $136,000
    Total in investment accounts = $903,000

Cash outside = $44,000
    Total = $947,000 (it was 813k on Apr 1, 860k on Jul 1, 863k on Oct 1, 864k on Dec 31,).

RESP (not included in our net worth) = $6,000.

Asset Mix (investment accounts):
    US stocks = 50% (SBUX, LULU, COF, GOOGL, AMZN, NKE, MO, KO, VOO).
    CAD stocks = 9% (SRV, BCE, XEG, SCP)
    CAD Reit = 9% (CHP)
    CAD Preferred 21% (BAM-R, ENB-N, IFC-A, MFC-G, SJR-A, SLF-K)
    Cash = 12%

2017 Q1 Summary:
    Great quarter - YTD return of 5.4%. Had it not been for a last minute crash of LULU (25% down) which cost us 13k the return would have been even better. Oh well that's what you get with owning individual stocks. Net worth since Dec 31, 2016 increased by 80k. This was mainly due to investment returns but now that I'm back at work the 5k/m after tax income doesn't hurt either.
    I have also started (very) slowly to move into indexed investing. The LIRA which consisted of PM, MO and KO is now half converted into VOO (S&P500). The goal is to have it completely in VOO by June.

2017 Goals: Random thoughts at this moment...
    Keep our spending below my income of approximately 5k/m.
    Since my wife will (most likely) have no income next year we decided it's a good time to cash in her employer stock. It had a very nice run lately (30% in 3 months!) and she would pay not taxes on the gains. - DONE
    Pass my final exam and get both actuarial designations - Got my US designation (can call myself an Actuary now). The Canadian Institute dropped the final exam starting next year so I will be going next year instead. Upside - no need to waste time on studying. Downside - I'm giving up about 8.5k in income. I figured my time is a lot more valuable so no regrets there.
    Try for another kid.
    Get to 1M! - that depends mostly on Mr. Market...

$970k - getting really close now!

My good old 2005 corolla has 286k on it. I wonder what'll come first: 300k on the car or $1M in the bank?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Wow, I just read through this thread.

Great work Saniokca!

Thanks Steve - when you're lucky enough to have a great income and don't want many things it's not hard work. Oh yeah and the fact that spouse is 100% on the same page is huge.

I didn't think too many people still read this to be honest because it's quite dry. But I keep posting because from time to time (maybe once a year) I like to re-read the whole thing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Saniokca View Post
    Thanks Steve - when you're lucky enough to have a great income and don't want many things it's not hard work. Oh yeah and the fact that spouse is 100% on the same page is huge.

I didn't think too many people still read this to be honest because it's quite dry. But I keep posting because from time to time (maybe once a year) I like to re-read the whole thing myself.
    I read each and every Money Diary post in the forum. Always interesting to see the different approaches taken. Sometimes can lead to a bit of introspection.
    Good work. For sure you'll hit 1mil before getting 300K on the car.

Glad to hear!

We are down to 955k - fun day on the markets today so the old corolla may yet win this one

Also it's time to pay rent and credit cards - will be close to 950k...

Last edited by Saniokca; 2017-05-17 at 10:40 PM.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314