How much you spend on utilities and other essential services? - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: How much you spend on utilities and other essential services?

Quote Originally Posted by m3s View Post
    I met a guy on the development team for an international emergency services app. It's LONG over do
    Any app on your phone can easily get your precise location but 911 can't?
    As per the article as well as her mother, Shanell Anderson's smart phone had similar capabilities but that did not help.

I suspect Canada is in even worse shape.

According to a 2008 article, the deaths around that time sparked Canada to review then build a plan for improvements. Complaints by industry that it was too expensive shelved those plans, where the US was lauded for putting teeth behind their legislation. The US was described as being a decade ahead of Canada for cell phone location capabilities.

If the US (i.e. advanced system) is reporting 911 calls with location info as low as 10% of calls based on carrier in Silicon Valley, what is it like in Canada?

... Wall phones are dead.
    Dying ... as of 2015, 78% of households had land lines. A 2016 article suggests 5% growth in cell phone only households so that makes it looks like the numbers may be around 68% or so currently.

... If you're worried about 911 you should get an emergency beacon
    ??? ... you seem to be aware that dramatic improvements are possible yet for some reason you want those concerned to develop a new system?

The barriers seem to be the industry complaints, a lack of concern as well as a lack of will power. Surely it's easier, better and cheaper to fix what already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by like_to_retire View Post
    Yep, but that app is on your phone. Not on the 911 system.
    Question is ... why not force the 911 call to trigger the GPS info or an app proactively instead of the delays of a challenge/response?

Though as seen with the shelved plans to change the system after at least three 2008 deaths in Canada, pressure by the public is likely needed to counter industry pressure. Part of the challenge is that the public seems to willing to make assumptions such as one third of Canadians seem to believe fire/police/paramedics would respond to an emergency message posted to social media.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11...n_4298241.html

Cheers

Those are some high property taxes but it's kind of anecdotal. I've seen several detailed studies that show the east coast very affordable once adjusted for income.

Most recent CBC National claimed you could buy 8 comparable homes in Moncton for the cost of 1 in Toronto. Median income/tax does not fluctuation as severely as RE.
    We're not disagreeing Toronto is expensive. To clarify you can find "some" parts of the East Coast as very affordable, just as you stated "some" parts of Quebec are very affordable, also considering incomes. For that matter "some" parts of Ontario are also very affordable relative to income. I've seen the news and read the reports.

Anecdotal yes but factual and valid. My municipality represents 20%+ of the entire population of the Maritimes, a sizeable part of the "East Coast" with much less than world leading affordability, and sporting high property taxes.

This is why I responded originally to give readers a more complete picture of "East Coast" costs.

Property Tax: $3815 (for 1/2 house in Vancouver)
    Home Insurance & Home contents Insurance: about $1200
    Car Insurance: $2100
    Hydro: $1140
    Gas (Fortis): $500
    Cell phones (4) - no data: 130/mo = $1560.
    Internet, Phone, LD: $950
    Cable: $600
    Food (3): around 800-1000 (depends who is home).

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Property Tax: $3815 (for 1/2 house in Vancouver)
    Home Insurance & Home contents Insurance: about $1200
    Car Insurance: $2100
    Hydro: $1140
    Gas (Fortis): $500
    Cell phones (4) - no data: 130/mo = $1560.
    Internet, Phone, LD: $950
    Cable: $600

Total: $12,235 on utilities, taxes etc.

throw in food ($11,000) and fuel, car mtce ($2000) = $25,235

Land phone: $0
    Cable: $0
    Internet: $0
    Cell: $240 (2 Mexican cell phone plans)
    Calgary Condo
    Condo fees (includes all utilities): $4,380
    Property Tax: $1,800
    Condo Insurance: $180
    Vancouver Island property
    Property Tax: $900
    Garbage pickup: $130
    Power: $1,200

Total: $8,830

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic12 View Post
    The barriers seem to be the industry complaints, a lack of concern as well as a lack of will power. Surely it's easier, better and cheaper to fix what already exists.
    Well if anyone can sort out this mess it's google! link to recent article

When highways were gridlocked overnight in Montreal and the city didn't even know for 6 hrs all I could think was why don't they use something like waze already. Lots of potential smartphones nowadays

I am a waze editor and also "waze royalty" Great app imo

amat victoria curam

Property Tax: 4000
    Car/Home Insurance: 3228
    Hydro: 4200
    Gas: 1200
    Water: 1200
    Rogers: 4620 (internet, television, home phone, 2 cell phones with 7G data shared)

We are working on cutting back on these, however there are considerations around special needs among our kids (i.e. extra laundry that cannot wait for off peak, severe environmental allergies so cannot hang clothes or open windows to let in air and turn off a/c).

i.e. extra laundry that cannot wait for off peak
    ohh... didn't even think about "off peak" hours

next year our car insurance goes up , as my son had at fault mini-accident on my wife car

Electricity/water - $2,986.17 (pool, hot tub, central air used all summer)
    Natural Gas - $1,036.30 (furnace, pool heater, hot water, BBQ, gas range in kitchen, 3 gas fireplaces that get used a lot)
    Water Heater rental - $363.12
    Property taxes $5,574.49
    Car insurance - $2,050 for 2 cars
    Gasoline - $2,500 for 2 cars including a couple of big road trips
    TV, internet, home phone - $2,400
    Cell x 2 - $1,500 (both unlimited long distance, 5g data per month on one, 3g on the other)
    House insurance - $1,081.08
    Groceries - $12,000 - family of 4 and we enjoy cooking at home and don't eat out often
    LCBO - $3,500 (80% wine, 10% beer, 10% liquor)

Some of these are down quite a bit over the past couple of years. Home and car insurance, home phone, internet, TV all heavily negotiated with suppliers to reduce cost. For example we tried to cancel Bell home phone and due to bundled services ended up now paying $35/month including unlimited long distance in Canada. Faster internet (25 mb and no data limit) but cheaper than old plan. Home insurance down about $500 from a couple of years ago. Car insurance down close to $1,000 from 3-4 years ago due to changing carriers (and zero tickets or accidents in 10+ years)

XIC, VTI, XEF, XSB/VAB/GIC LADDER (+ HISA for cash)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789