Shared Wisdom: Best Money Apps

Thread: Shared Wisdom: Best Money Apps

Shared Wisdom: Best Money Apps

So, there are a couple of threads over the history of the forum that talk about apps, but there hasn't been an effort to collate the various apps that members are using to help them achieve their financial budget and growth goals.

I'll be happy to edit the original post every so often to list and categorize the apps for future reference.

I suggest we do the following in each post:

1. Name the app and the platform
    2. Explain how you use it and why you like it, prefer it over alternatives, etc.

Take it away...

I'll begin I suppose...

WealthPlus Net Worth app (iOS)

I haven't got much experience in this space, but I was looking for a simple net worth app and came across this app, which is a really simple but effective app for tracking net worth. It has some categories to begin with; banking, investments, auto, mortgage, loans, etc. But you can delete and create your own categories as well.

I update it on the first of every month, and it gives percentage increases/decreases and charts each category.

Definitely worth checking out.

1. Excel, Win7
    2. - Flexible, easy to tweek and run alternate scenarios, no black box.
    - Download visa & chequing for category & expenditures tracking.
    - Download all accs for asset allocation, maturity laddering, xirr.
    - Retirement income streams, assumptions/scenarios easily modified

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Every Dollar (iOS app and website)

I was looking for an app to help with a budget that didn't link up to my account. I really don't like the idea of Mint or Personal Capital being linked to my accounts. So I came across this app last night and filled it in for January. You can link it up to your accounts with the paid version, but the free version allows me to do it manually, which works for me.

I've never run a budget before. I've always just lived fairly frugally. However, I'm really interested to see where I can potentially save more, and to just generally be more conscience of my spending.

The app and website are equally pleasant to use. Worth a look if you want something other than Mint, PC, or a spreadsheet.

I use YNAB, the software (I purchased it before it became a monthly subscription) I still haven't found anything to replace it with. I also use the website networth IQ to track my networth. Both are useful.