Canadian Money Forum banner

WOW Air

6K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  m3s 
#1 ·
Wow Air is offering pretty cheap prices on flights to Europe. Anybody flew with this carrier?
Theie website states "Included in your airfare is one small carry-on bag up to a maximum of 42x32x25cm (10kg/22 lbs)" - curious if they really measuring your bag in airport? and what if it's couple of cm bigger?

#3 · (Edited)
curious if they really measuring your bag in airport? and what if it's couple of cm bigger?
I've never seen them actually measure or deny a carry-on.. although sometimes I wish they would as people are pushing the limits more and more now. A few cm's is nothing compared to what I see people bringing on board

Many overhead bins can hold larger than the limit and if not or all the space is already taken the cabin crew just check it below for free.. and the actual space available depends drastically on the plane itself

#4 ·
I've never seen them actually measure or deny a carry-on ...
I've seen the measuring then denial more on the US airlines.

Though lately, I have seen around five people at the Canadian airline check in gate asked to put their carry on into the measuring metal frame. The five were able to make it fit so there's only been one at the check in gate that I can remember.

... Many overhead bins can hold larger than the limit and if not or all the space is already taken the cabin crew just check it below for free.. and the actual space available depends drastically on the plane itself
Interesting ... for me it's either the bin is the exact size, barely larger or so much smaller that I have had to up the carry on under the seat, despite lots of empty over head bins. A few times, where the overhead bin is too small - the aisle seat has also been too narrow.

The plane size is the biggest factor.

Cheers

#5 ·
I attempted to book flights with WOW for this last July. They had no flights available for their advertised low prices. I was looking for two flights...Toronto to Iceland, and Iceland to Ireland. I ended up checking to see if they had any for anytime during the spring or summer. Nothing at advertised prices, when I looked late winter. I think their advertising is a scam.

#7 ·
My niece and 83 year old mother both used them to fly to LGW this year. Loved it. You do get into Rejkavik at 0400 or so which is rough but they said the flights were good. You have to bring your own food or buy it though.

#6 ·
Iceland air has good deals that are available on many days/weeks and is full service airline rather than the budget WOW. We were really happy with our flights and so has everyone else that has taken them. Their Edmonton to Reykjavik flights has been extremely popular. And great prices. Edmonton to Paris for 600 when on sale, etc.

#9 ·
I attempted to book flights with WOW for this last July. They had no flights available for their advertised low prices
I booked for my mom flight to London and back for $420,could've book for $390, but she wanted longer stay. However, when I checked priced for summer, it was even more expensive than Westjet direct flight.

I've never seen them actually measure or deny a carry-on..
Are you talking about Wow or in general?
Wow has different luggage rules, small carry on is free, big one is extra, as per their website:
Included in your airfare is one small carry-on bag up to a maximum of 42x32x25cm (10kg/22 lbs) including handles and wheels.
OR

You can purchase allowance for a large carry-on bag, (instead of the small carry-on) up to a maximum of 56x45x25cm including handles and wheels and no more than 12 kg (26 lbs), but please note that you are still only permitted one piece of carry-on baggage on board.
In addition to this, you may board the plane with one personal item (max 42x20x20cm) such as a laptop, a small purse or camera bag, which must fit under the seat in front of you; and one duty free shopping bag.
I just cannot find any bag that fit 42x32x25cm :(

#12 · (Edited)
Follow the rules and err on the side of caution if you don't want to pay fees. Don't try to find loop holes because you will one day get caught, delay seating and securing the cabin, incur baggage discrepancies and further delays the aircraft when the load sheet doesn't match because an additional bag must be checked, then potentially miss a flow time into certain airspace further delaying a wheels up time.....there is so much that needs to match up in aviation that passengers just don't know about.

There is nothing more frustrating then waiting up front for baggage issues because some *** hat thought they could find a loop hole in the system trying to save a buck and they find out their bag doesn't fit in the overhead and are asked to remove it and check it. That is one sure fire way to upset a Flight Attendant because they see this a number of times a day -- Passengers trying to jam their luggage in the over head while getting red in the face repeating "I swear it fit last time!!...." as they are holding up others trying to get to their seats so we can depart on time.

The squishy duffel bag idea is the best. Follow the rules -- pack small and stay within the limits.

#25 ·
There is nothing more frustrating then waiting up front for baggage issues because some *** hat thought they could find a loop hole in the system trying to save a buck and they find out their bag doesn't fit in the overhead and are asked to remove it and check it. That is one sure fire way to upset a Flight Attendant because they see this a number of times a day -- Passengers trying to jam their luggage in the over head while getting red in the face repeating "I swear it fit last time!!...." as they are holding up others trying to get to their seats so we can depart on time.
It's gotten a lot worse now that most airlines charge to check baggage. I feel for the flight attendants who have to smile while explaining why you can't stow that oversized yukelele in front of the emergency window seat.. Having been in a few aircraft emergencies where the training/preparation was key, I'm afraid customer service doesn't mix well with safety (and it's been shown that most passengers don't actually pay attention, comprehend or remember safety briefs)

I can check luggage for free at least in Canada but usually don't because of all the restrictions now (can't clear customs or board a flight without your checked luggage post 9/11 etc) A soft 30L backpack has worked well for me on a large variety of airlines and planes and I can easily stow it and get out of the way immediately. Some airlines are definitely more efficient at boarding than others. If they offer to "sky check" carry-on that really seems to speed up the process

#13 ·
I flew to Germany last year via WOW air and transiting through Keflavik airport in Reykjavik Iceland.
Let me tell you this. EVERY single thing has to be paid. you have to pay for your seats (it was $9.99) and if you want a little drink, boom pay them and they take euro but only give you back Icelandic krona.. I wasn`t too impressed

#17 ·
It's a low-cost-carrier. What do you expect when you're looking for the cheapest flight?

I'm blown away when people complain about low cost carriers and how they charge you for everything normal carriers include in their fair. There is a reason they are cheap -- if you want full fair service, you can expect to pay for it via fees or by booking with a full fair carrier.

#19 · (Edited)
Canadian airlines have been converting to this as well.
My MIL just came back from Florida. She flew with Air Canada and should've pay extra for check-in bag...

It's a low-cost-carrier. What do you expect when you're looking for the cheapest flight?
Just checked WOW FAQs... if you don't select seat, it will be assigned to you for free.

Not sure about water ... if you should pay (and we don't have any EUR), I will tell my mom to buy couple of water bottles before boarding.

I have seen a few
I could find any in Walmart..... was measuring bags we have.... backpack doesn't fit as it has bigger height.... The only one that seems comparable to 42x32x25cm , it's my big laptop bag :)

#21 ·
My MIL just came back from Florida. She flew with Air Canada and should've pay extra for check-in bag...
It seems to depend on who they think their competition is as well as what the carriers servicing the area think the market will bear.

Fly Porter that isn't an early flight, then beer & wine are free. Fly Air Canada Rouge, then one has to bring their own phone/tablet/computer to access the movies etc. Otherwise, one does without or pays to rent an iPad to access the entertainment system.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.