Investing........It's complicated. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Investing........It's complicated.

Success would have to be defined based on whatever the person's goals are. My goal is 1 million in Liquid asset by 50. Currently 10% there!

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy View Post
    I've learned how to do many things, none of which I could do initially from construction, plumbing, electrical work, small engine repair, large engine repair, legal work (incorporation, probate, going to court, etc.), basic medicine (with 4 kids I learned about all sorts of issues and how to treat them), and all sorts of other skills...this is on top of what I actually went to school for.

In all the cases I learned one common thing...it wasn't as hard to learn as I initially thought it would be.
    This.^

Years ago I took a great interest in archery and deer hunting. Over the next while I learned so much about archery and deer biology by reading, questioning experts, practicing my shooting etc etc, with the ultimate goal of harvesting a large trophy whitetail with archery equipment...(a HUGE challenge)...well, several years into it I finally achieved my goal, and I now consider myself very knowledgeable on these topics.
    When I hit my 30's I realized I knew absolutely nothing about investing. It dawned on me that if I could learn so much about hunting deer with a bow, then I should be able to do the same with investing!
    The main problem, though, is that learning about investing is much harder, because it is not nearly as fun...therein lies the problem. Finance is boring...not sexy or exciting...and I think that is why so many people couldn't be bothered.
    I still find it hard to stay motivated with my investment learning...when I try to read a prospectus my eyes usually glaze over...especially when I get to the part about "executive compensation"!
    I was showing my 14 year old the other day what some of these CEO's make...maybe one day he will be one!
    I am trying to pass on what I have learned to him, because nobody taught me a damn thing when I was young. There should be a basic requirement in high school on Finance...its so important to not wait to get started!

My kids all liked playing monopoly while they were growing up. I didn't often play it with them though. I explained I liked to play monopoly in real life. When you explain real estate investing to them in terms of a game, it becomes more fun. I found fun ways to think about stocks too.

On a side note, what do you shoot? My kids like the diamond line, my son shoots a Prime and I prefer my mission ballistic.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Hoyt carbon defiant

Good discussion. I think that most of the experts, advisors, books and even most discussions make investing sound complicated. First the is the question of strategy, Growth, Value, Passive, Dividend, Active trading, Commodities, Options, Shorts, Mutuals, Movies, etc, etc. Initially most people get caught up thinking that can buy cheap or buy the right stock and it grow like Apple, Google, as many, many others have and they'll make a bundle.
    Chasing the growth or shooting star is a suckers game and the majority fail.
    So learning the various strategies and deciding which suits you can be difficult and will not happen quickly.
    That's why I think the Passive ETF craze is now so popular. Buy a few etf's which cover entire markets and get market reruns at a low fee. Simple and easy. Not my choice but probably right for many.

I think you hit the nail on the head cannew - passive is preached because it is a) easy and b) academically sound. I'm not an indexing zealot but there is absolutely merit in the approach, for a small fee of course.

No good investing strategy is a get rich quick approach, it's more of a get wealthy eventually strategy and most of us couldn't care less about the discipline required, the long-term wait; the future, let alone any financial one. Unfortunate but true. The CMFers remember are by far not in the majority....

Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123