Investing........It's complicated. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Investing........It's complicated.

Like none, I don't think investing is that difficult. It all comes down to some willingness to learn, be invested in the process, but then ultimately behaviours.

The financial industry makes it complicated for the retail investor because their livelihood depends on it.

The majority of Canadians will never visit a forum like this because they don't care as much about their finances as CMFers do.

EDIT - Kudos to folks in this forum. You're engaged and you'll be richer in knowledge and wealth because of it

Last edited by My Own Advisor; 2017-01-10 at 09:16 PM.
    Hidden Content - Saving and investing my way to a million dollar portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by none View Post
    It's more people being arrogant with a good dose of stupidity (a dangerous combination (see Trump & global warming threads for further examples).

Having an EXTREMELY effective portfolio is dead simple. Buy 3 ETFs in age dependent ratios. Save more than you spend. DONE. That's it. SUPER SIMPLE.

It's when people take this 95% optimized portfolio and try to get it to 100% (which may actually be impossible) and start doing stupid crap b/c they think they know things that they really don't is when things go side ways.

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2016/...l-a-hard-sell/
    Excellent advice and thanks for the reminder. Another excellent reminder -- The Dream of a Perfect Plan October 16, 1999

Your playing against some of the richest most powerful men in the world. Its like a poker game the money will flow to the strongest player. There is no way everyone can be a winner.

Actually, there are several areas too small for the large investors to go after, leaving a window of opportunity...

For example, boardwalk will only buy building, leaving individual units open to small investors ithout big boy competition.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

Quote Originally Posted by sags View Post
    As I peruse some of the threads, it strengthens my belief that investing is far too complicated for most people.
    Not only are there a myriad of decisions on investments, there are also the tax and legal complications involved in each decision ...
    When looking at it as a whole, without learning anything ... sure. It is no different than someone deciding to start by building a house from scratch or rebuilding a car engine versus starting small and building one's skills/knowledge.

Where one figures out one has reached their limit ... that's fine but I don't see the point of looking at investing as a whole to decide it's "too much".

Reading the discussions among knowledgeable people in the threads, there are differences of opinion among them.
    Not sure why that's a problem ... there are many different ways to make money where a lot of people have a bias (i.e. they get paid better) for one particular way or they want everyone to follow the same way.

Small wonder so many people buy mutual funds and pay high fees or hold their money in a GIC/HISA in a TFSA.
    Of those I talked to ... most do so because they are intimidated or have made the decision to avoid learning. Those who learn tend to branch out.

Replacing DB pensions with their automatic "no thought required" contributions and benefits, with a complicated array of considerations was a proposition destined for failure, and given the lack of retirement savings among Canadians.........it has done just that.

Keeping life simple is good, but someone always comes along with a better idea and screws it all up.
    AFACIT ... the selling point for dropping DB pensions to go with investor driven decisions have nothing to do with "better idea". Well maybe "better idea" for benefiting the employer. Though with Saskatchewan being one of the early adopters who according to experts, has not seen a cost reduction yet - the employer's unless they didn't have a DB pension, are only getting a small slice of the benefit with a long way to go.

Cheers

Agreed; investing is complicated. However, it becomes less challenging as you learn more. Do your own research and ask questions. Build your confidence before you build your portfolio.

Learning to walk is complicate, learning to talk is complicated, learning anything is complicated, yet babies learn, people learn and later, when asked, don't find it complicated at all...in fact, it would probably be too hard for most of us to rpteach someone else because we just do it. It's so ingrained that we don't even think about it anymore.

Over th years I've learned how to do many things, none of which I could do initially from construction, plumbing, electrical work, small engine repair, large engine repair, legal work (incorporation, probate, going to court, etc.), basic medicine (with 4 kids I learned about all sorts of issues and how to treat them), and all sorts of other skills...this is on top of what I actually went to school for.

In all the cases I learned one common thing...it wasn't as hard to learn as I initially thought it would be.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

Anyone can invest, but if success is the measuring stick, the results indicate most people don't really understand what they are doing.

At least that appears to be the opinion of people like Bogle and Buffet.
    Someone planted a tree a long time ago and now I sit in the shade.

Anyone can invest, but if success is the measuring stick, the results indicate most people don't really understand what they are doing ...
    Question is ... what's success?

I suspect some would see selling before the top as "failure" where I'd consider making a sizeable gain, paying the minimum taxes or zero taxes in order to be mortgage free in short order as "success".

Cheers

Everyone may measure success differently, but it would be difficult to argue that someone who has built a comfortable retirement on their own, without the presence of a DB pension plan, inheritance or lottery win..........has been successful.

Someone planted a tree a long time ago and now I sit in the shade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast