Technology may be going too far, too fast.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Technology may be going too far, too fast.

Technology may be going too far, too fast.

I remember reading about the little girl who ordered herself a dollhouse back a few weeks. It, initially was an interesting story about how the technology was maybe a little too convenient.

However, this follow up story

http://www.cw6sandiego.com/news-anch...ed-dollhouses/

Makes me really wonder.

I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

That is really funny. I wouldn't say too far, too fast though. I say thank heaven for early adopters. They spend their money on pricey new technology and suffer the growing pains & experience that ultimately shapes these things and determnes what persists and what gets tossed out.

What I do see though is a lot of 'geeky' consumer-type stuff that isn't necessarily putting technology to its best use. Go into a senior's home and give some thought to the technology, sensors, etc. that could be developed to provide assistance and improve their safety.
    Cripes, ask Rogers how many calls they get in a week from people who can't turn their TV on. Their remote stopped working and they have two or three of these remote thingys (set-top box/tv/dvd) with upteen buttons on each and you have to point the right one at the right place. But they just want to on-off, change channels and adjust volume.

WE
    ARE
    GRADUALLY
    EVOLVING
    INTO
    ROBOTS...
    "Must....obey.....machine-leader...."

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMyOpinion View Post
    That is really funny. I wouldn't say too far, too fast though. I say thank heaven for early adopters. They spend their money on pricey new technology and suffer the growing pains & experience that ultimately shapes these things and determnes what persists and what gets tossed out.

What I do see though is a lot of 'geeky' consumer-type stuff that isn't necessarily putting technology to its best use. Go into a senior's home and give some thought to the technology, sensors, etc. that could be developed to provide assistance and improve their safety.
    Cripes, ask Rogers how many calls they get in a week from people who can't turn their TV on. Their remote stopped working and they have two or three of these remote thingys (set-top box/tv/dvd) with upteen buttons on each and you have to point the right one at the right place. But they just want to on-off, change channels and adjust volume.
    Same thing with websites-Yahoo Finance Canada had/has a good layout (the old version still exists somehow) and had to replace it with a new layout (this seems to be mandatory for any functioning website)-the new layout is lousy as is often the case.

Quote Originally Posted by jargey3000 View Post
    WE
    ARE
    GRADUALLY
    EVOLVING
    INTO
    ROBOTS...
    "Must....obey.....machine-leader...."
    There was a TED talk where the guy actually says this is on the way (it has already started to a certain extent)-humans will get more and more technological hardware until eventually millions will be hybrids of machine and mammal-these millions will coexist alongside those who are still 100% mammal-just as Neanderthals coexisted and bred with Cro Magnon.

I'm still waiting for the next technology breakthrough; something completely new, and disruptive. So far, it seems to me that there are only incremental advances of existing technologies and new applications offering solutions to non-existent problems.

Watching news from the CES show in Las Vegas, it appears that VR is popular, a flying car ( like we've never heard that before ), and lots of "apps"...

Yes, with the incremental evolution of Bluetooth into BLE, you can now attach a sensor to your dog or cat, and the app on your Smartphone will tell you when to feed it. Wow, it's amazing that there hasn't been mass starvation of family pets because people had no clue when the animal was hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Userkare View Post
    I'm still waiting for the next technology breakthrough; something completely new, and disruptive. So far, it seems to me that there are only incremental advances of existing technologies and new applications offering solutions to non-existent problems.

Watching news from the CES show in Las Vegas, it appears that VR is popular, a flying car ( like we've never heard that before ), and lots of "apps"...

Yes, with the incremental evolution of Bluetooth into BLE, you can now attach a sensor to your dog or cat, and the app on your Smartphone will tell you when to feed it. Wow, it's amazing that there hasn't been mass starvation of family pets because people had no clue when the animal was hungry.
    We know that eventually something will come along that is bigger and more disruptive than the Internet but it is difficult to even imagine what it could be-like you said most of these "advances" are useless.

We are approaching the development an AI "singularity" - artificial intelligence that is as smart as humans. Beyond that, the AIs will be smarter than us. The pace of scientific and technological change will accelerate to the point that it may make our past few decades seem like nothing.

The worry is that the AIs will notice that we are a danger to ourselves and enslave us for our own protection. Or they may decide we are a danger to them and wipe us out. Or the technology falls into the wrong hands. A number of very intelligent individuals have sounded the alarm.
    If you have something to say - then say.

Quote Originally Posted by olivaw View Post
    We are approaching the development an AI "singularity" - artificial intelligence that is as smart as humans. Beyond that, the AIs will be smarter than us. The pace of scientific and technological change will accelerate to the point that it may make our past few decades seem like nothing.

The worry is that the AIs will notice that we are a danger to ourselves and enslave us for our own protection. Or they may decide we are a danger to them and wipe us out. Or the technology falls into the wrong hands. A number of very intelligent individuals have sounded the alarm.
    Seems far-fetched-AI is simply a machine-basically an extremely advanced calculator or computer-the big weakness on the part of AI is creativity-no way designed for it to tap into creative intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelley View Post
    Seems far-fetched-AI is simply a machine-basically an extremely advanced calculator or computer-the big weakness on the part of AI is creativity-no way designed for it to tap into creative intelligence.
    Some very thoughtful individuals have expressed alarm.

Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind

Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk, and Bill Gates Warn About Artificial Intelligence

Instrumental convergence

Frankenstein’s paperclips

If you have something to say - then say.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast