Where, when, what interior paint to buy?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where, when, what interior paint to buy?

Where, when, what interior paint to buy?

Hi,

My wife and I are figuring out if we want to go ahead and paint the house. Where and when is it best to buy paint, and what kind of paint would you recommend?

I don't want to buy really cheap paint, it's for our primary residence so I'm willing to shell out for good quality stuff, but I also love a good deal

Sherwin Williams is having a 30% off sale until end of January, and I was told they have big sales once or twice a year. Benjamin Moore has been recommended to me, expensive stuff at the high end. Then there are other brands from chain stores, Behr and Valspar?

We have cheap contractor flat paint from when the house was built now, looks good when new, but zero durability. We want something that's not shiny, and won't get shiny if you try to clean it...you know what I'm talking about if you've ever had to deal with it. Want something that has some durability but looks good.

Thanks!

Hidden Content It's not a "how-to." It's a "why bother."

I use sherwin Williams for my rentals. It's a good compromise between quality and price. Not all their lines of paint are the same...I prefer their old general paint lines like breeze. I hate behr.

Benjamin Moore is the best choice though if you don't mind the price.
    Last edited by Just a Guy; 2017-01-06 at 09:23 PM.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

I agree. We use top grade Benjamin Moore for all our paint jobs. We find it second to none.... remembering that labour is the longest/hardest part of the job. Do the job right once and it will last a very long time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Benjamin Moore - not the top grade, the one just below. We've been using it for years. Eggshell for walls and pearl for trim.
    We buy at a local small Rona.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    .... remembering that labour is the longest/hardest part of the job. Do the job right once and it will last a very long time.
    Wash the walls with TSP in warm water. Then rinse pass.

I had tenants once paint without washing and forever the paint will chip off with a bump or tape application to hold the kid's art on the wall. The paint is neither on, nor will it systematically come off. The only real fix is to replace the drywall. Or sell the house

hboy54
    Last edited by hboy54; 2017-01-07 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hboy54 View Post
    ... I had tenants once paint without washing and forever the paint will chip off with a bump or tape application to hold the kid's art on the wall. The paint is neither on, nor will it systematically come off. The only real fix is to replace the drywall.
    hboy54
    Sounds like it might a case of latex over alkyd without proper prep/proper latex?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMyOpinion View Post
    Sounds like it might a case of latex over alkyd without proper prep/proper latex?
    That is a possibility too. I do not know what they used or the rules for different chemistries. And when I did wash the walls after they left, the water was a nicotine yellow.

Hboy54

Could probably be fixed with a proper cleaning and a new coat of primer.

Quote Originally Posted by hboy54 View Post
    ... when I did wash the walls after they left, the water was a nicotine yellow. Hboy54
    I had a rental like that once too. Yikes! Seeing that filthy sponge and water really made you appreciate what must have gone into their lungs. And this wasn't from cooking, it was in the bedroom and bathroom (along with the butts).

I have used Benjamin Moore for years. I would recommend applying neutral colours in case you decide to sell in the near future. I know from personal experience, buyers can be turned off by a single poorly placed colour.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast