Where, when, what interior paint to buy? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where, when, what interior paint to buy?

That's good if it's working for you. Paint companies have a variety of products with a range in quality. The Canadian Tire/Benjamin Moore product is probably a decent product with a reliable colour match. BM wouldn't put their name on a product without the quality being good but it might be equivalent to their contractor quality.

Thanks for the heads up VLT. I will certainly be taking another look when it's time to buy paint again. A few $ more per gallon isn't going to have a huge impact.

I've confirmed that Benjamin Moore makes a product specifically for Canadian Tire that compares with their contractor grade. It's interesting that colour names are different from their own (dealer) products.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I don't understand why so many dislike Behr, I love working with it in both my home and rentals. It has great coverage and is durable. We painted neutrals on our main floor 10 years ago, and it still looks like new, even raising two kids. As for coverage, I'm in the process of painting a whole house that we just re-drywalled, each room having one dark or intense colour. I used Speedhide white primer, and the dark colours of the Behr are providing complete coverage with only one coat, except for deep red, which required two coats because I wasn't using enough light when painting. No tinted primers used for anything.

The Behr white in eggshell has held up wonderfully in the student rentals, and they are hard on walls. Extremely scrubbable. One front porch/entry they have hands on walls, crud on the lower walls from winter salt and sand, food on walls from keeping recycling and garbage there. I swoop in at the end of the lease and can have those porch walls looking like new in 5 minutes, painted 5 years ago.

I have always used eggshell, except for this new house where I used flat everywhere except bathrooms. Too many windows bringing in light from multiple directions to bounce around on the walls. I may come to regret that decision, but we'll only be two adults there.
    Last edited by RCB; 2017-01-11 at 11:10 PM.

Is there really any point in paying more for "higher quality" paint? I used Beauti-tone from Home Hardware to paint one of my bedrooms, it was $18 per 3.64L can, the cheapest paint I could find, and the room turned out fine.

I think consumer reports does testing of paints. Should be able to get free @ library

Late - but my vote goes to Benjamin Moore. The paint goes on easily and wears well.

Consumer Reports appears to like the Behr Marquee from Home Depot. I'll stick with Benjamin Moore.

If you have something to say - then say.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123