Where, when, what interior paint to buy? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where, when, what interior paint to buy?

thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

How do you wash the walls, what's TSP? This is good, useful information for my rental.

Also, I was actually soliciting thoughts about paint for my personal residence in my original post. It seems like good thoughts about Benjamin Moore all around, the highest Aura and second highest Regal Select seems to be about high $70s to low $80s per gallon. With the 30% off of Sherwin Williams right now, the highest end Emerald is only $56 a gallon.

I measured everything and have about under 3,800 sq ft to cover, but I'll need a few different colours so there will be some cans that won't be all used up. Coverage seems to be about 350-400 sq ft per gallon for most cans I've seen.

Is BM worth the extra cost? Anyone used both?

Hidden Content It's not a "how-to." It's a "why bother."

Wouldn't bother with Benjamin Moore for a rental. As I said, sherwin Williams breeze eggshell and HP2000 semi gloss is what I use in my rentals.

With a rental, you're reprinting much more often.

TSP wash the walls, don't forget to rinse.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

TSP is trisodium phosphate. Usually in a box about the size of a 1 litre milk container for under $10. Find it at any hardware store, Canadian Tire etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

My wife is the painter (I'm not allowed!) but while she likes Benjamin Moore she feels it is over priced and prefers Behr.

The best would be either Benjamin Moore or Behr, to avoid the shine use a Satin finish.

Ha! A question that I can answer. I'm a professional Interior Designer and have been specking paint for decades. If this is for your own home, here's my advise.

Paint: You can't go wrong with Benjamin Moore or Pratt and Lambert. It's important to buy from the actual dealer and get their top stuff. I've been using Benjamin Moore, Regal Select.

(Exception: The colour yellow, BM doesn't have good yellows)

Painters: Be careful and get them to show you their purchase receipts because they usually buy paint at a deep discount wherever they have an account and match the BM-colour. They will insist that the quality is as good or better, trust me, it's not! (contractors lie) Also, watch out for stores like Canadian Tire that have Benjamin Moore colours but the paint is an inferior product.

Again, if you want quality go to the dealer, listen to their advise and pay the price. With paint, we absolutely get what we pay for.

Finishes: Be careful because paint companies use different names for the same finish so you need to review their samples. Using Benjamin Moore as an example, most people like a flatter look so eggshell is a good choice.
    For average homes (not historic) I prefer a bit more sheen and durability and use the Pearl finish on the walls and the baseboards. It saves labour.
    Last edited by VLT; 2017-01-10 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VLT View Post
    For average homes (not historic) I prefer a bit more sheen and durability and use the Pearl finish on the walls and the baseboards. It saves labour.
    We're in the middle of renovating an apartment in a building built around 1900. We want to preserve the historic character wherever reasonable. I was planning eggshell walls and satin baseboards, would you suggest anything different? We're going Benjamin Moore for sure, have used it before and find it well worth it.

Hi Spudd,
    Eggshell for the walls is good. BM has a new finish called Soft Gloss. Either Soft Gloss or Semi Gloss would be tougher than the Pearl for doors and trim.
    Last edited by VLT; 2017-01-10 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VLT View Post
    Hi Spudd,
    Eggshell for the walls is good. BM has a new finish called Soft Gloss. Either Soft Gloss or Semi Gloss would be tougher than the Pearl for doors and trim.
    Awesome, thanks!

I have used BM, mostly eggshell, for several years but was surprised to read about the differences from the paint store vs canadian tire. I usually buy from ct when it is on sale and save $5-7 a gallon. I have been very happy with it, covers well. I usually buy the best one or one below. Have bought cheap paint over the years but it doesn't cover.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast