Mordko Money Diaries - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mordko Money Diaries

@BI - thanks, please do.

At the end of January, I am 50% stock, 50% cash (the latter earmarked for buying a house).

The stock is invested in a worldwide CouchPotato as follows:

US - 35%, Canada - 30%, Developed outside N America - 20% (about half in the UK), EM - 15%.

Money-weighted returns on stocks, Jan 31 2017:

1 month -0.13%
    3 months 2.06%
    6 months 4.1%
    YTD -0.13%
    1 year 11.2%

January was flat; the indices went up but USD went down by almost 3%.

I am still roughly 50% stock, 50% cash (the latter earmarked for buying a house).

The stock is invested in a worldwide CouchPotato as follows:

US - 35%, Canada - 30%, Developed outside N America - 20% (about half in the UK), EM - 15%.

Money-weighted returns on stocks, Jan 31 2017:

1 month 3.4%
    3 months 5.6%
    6 months 9.5%
    YTD 3.7%
    1 year 19.9%
    Since 2002 8.95%

Money-weighted return is significantly higher than time-weighted because the portfolio is dominated by the money placed in the portfolio in January and I was lucky with the timing. The returns are kinda meaningless for the same reason.

In February the US and EM investments have done real well while Canada and developed countries did OK but not great.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Also, I am expecting actuary's valuation of my DB pension which is about to be transferred to a DC pension, so there will be quite a bit more to invest in the next couple of months... And I am hoping to buy a house in the 700K range at some point over the next 2 months.

We bought a house and >30 acres of land for $1M. The cost is higher than hoped for but my dog did love the place very much. And it will be generating income while providing me with easy access to work (<20 minute drive).

By the time all of this is sorted, I expect the overall asset breakdown to look like this:

- $1M - house
    - $1.5M - investment (including LIRAs, spousal RRSP, TFSA and taxable)
    - $0 - debt, although we might use Line of Credit to fund investment projects, like roof-top solar power and the purchase of various agricultural toys.

Quote Originally Posted by mordko View Post
    We bought a house and >30 acres of land for $1M. The cost is higher than hoped for but my dog did love the place very much. And it will be generating income while providing me with easy access to work (<20 minute drive).

By the time all of this is sorted, I expect the overall asset breakdown to look like this:

- $1M - house
    - $0 - debt, although we might use Line of Credit to fund investment projects, like roof-top solar power and the purchase of various agricultural toys.
    Congrats ! That acreage especially is very fine. You say it is income producing ? Is it arable land you are going to lease out ?
    My hope is to follow in your footsteps in a few years. I've already reduced work to a sort of semi-retired level and am going to milk that for a while but I can't wait to get out of the golden horseshoe and back into somewhere quieter. We'll probably stick with southern Ontario but definitely will be spending a lot less time here.
    "That's what I do, I drink and I know things" - Tyrion Lannister

Thanks Part of the land is a wild forest + wetland and a pond, which my spaniel approves of. The other chunk is an established tree farm. We are planning to try and run it ourselves but will need a lot of education.

We did exactly what you are thinking about; got out of the overpopulated GTA but stayed within 1.5-2 hours of Toronto. Didn't end up quite as remote as I was considering, mainly because I am still working albeit for a different employer. My wife has effectively retired though. Guess I am targeting retirement (except for the hobby farm) in ~8 years when I hit 55 or so.

When you say "less time here" - are you thinking about Florida? That is fun but we'll probably get a few dogs and other animals... Besides, I kinda enjoy having different seasons.

Congrats mordko

Quote Originally Posted by mordko View Post

- $1M - house
    Congrats ,I understand you didn't take a mortgage and paid in cash?
    Is all your $1.5M invested in equities? No cash?
    If it's not secret can you share what area is your new house? I suspect somewhere around London? What is estimated property tax?

30 acres it's a lot.... I understand iit's like 3 soccer fields, right?!
    Pond is nice ...you may grow trout there
    Last edited by gibor365; 2017-03-11 at 03:37 AM.

@gibor,

- correct, we won't be taking a mortgage. After closing we will set up a line of credit and I will use it to fund certain projects, like solar power.

- it's not near London but in that general direction. Property taxes are just 3k a year, which is peanuts compared to the 12k we used to pay. They have been reduced substantially because of land use.

- soccer fields vary in size from 1 acre (50 by 100 yards) to 2.5 acres. This place is 365 by 365 meters which is a good size hobby farm but less than half of the total is usable for farming.

- trout is a good idea but the pond is more like a swimming pool right now, with a sandy beach. It's fed by a stream rather than by underground springs and probably gets too hot for trout. We will check the temperature in summer.

Last edited by mordko; 2017-03-11 at 07:29 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast