RSP withdrawal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: RSP withdrawal

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    37

    RSP withdrawal

    So, my wife decided to withdraw $51603.00 from her RSP in Dec 2016. We were expecting 30% tax to be withheld. However, the total amount deposited to her bank account is 29,103.20. The amount withheld totals 43.6 %. There are no fees associated with this withdrawal. Am I missing something (besides cash...LOL) ?


  2. #2
    Senior Member GreatLaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    595
    Can't think of a good reason why it would be done that way.

    1) Several provinces have a combined Fed/Prov tax rate of approx 43.6%. Maybe someone tried to deduct at your marginal rate instead of the WHT rate.

    2) The amount deducted was 51603 - 29103.2 = 22499.8, which is close to what should be deducted on a withdrawal of $75000.

    3) Maybe a fat finger on the WHT calculation? Although that seems strange since I would think it would be an automatic calculation.

    Did you ask the bank?
    Eschew obfuscation. Espouse elucidation

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatLaker View Post
    Can't think of a good reason why it would be done that way.

    1) Several provinces have a combined Fed/Prov tax rate of approx 43.6%. Maybe someone tried to deduct at your marginal rate instead of the WHT rate.

    2) The amount deducted was 51603 - 29103.2 = 22499.8, which is close to what should be deducted on a withdrawal of $75000.

    3) Maybe a fat finger on the WHT calculation? Although that seems strange since I would think it would be an automatic calculation.

    Did you ask the bank?
    Not sure what is going on. The withdrawal was from funds outside of a bank, and deposited to a bank account. I will check with her planner next week.

    You may be right about the marginal rate. Who decides what rate the original deduction is made at? We just assumed it would be the government set rate of 30%. My wife's job would put her at the 43.6% rate...if she was still there. But she is not. Her income in 2016 is about $14,500 (before the RSP withdrawal). A low income year in 2016 is the reason she decided to withdraw from her RSP.

    Any other ideas??
    Last edited by dadaswell; 2017-01-06 at 11:13 PM.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member GreatLaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by dadaswell View Post
    Any other ideas??
    Nope. Per CRA it should be 30%.
    Eschew obfuscation. Espouse elucidation

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    99
    Agree, it should have been 30% but it will all work out when you file your taxes in the next couple months.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,747
    The withholding tax will be 30% ...OR... the percentage you want it to be, whatever is greater.

    Perhaps your planner was under the impression that your wife wanted the marginal tax rate withheld instead of the statutory minimums. In any case it would not have been a brilliant number to uses since marginal tax rates are the taxes payable on your last dollar earned, NOT the tax owed on your taxable income. That being said, I would suspect more then one financial planner, as well as a slew of Canadians would not fully understand what I just said.

    Anyway, as said up thread, it will all get fixed in the spring when she files her 2016 tax return. I would imagine she is going to get a very nice refund this year.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    125
    I'd like to ask a slightly peripheral question. I was withdrawing (for the first time) k$10 NET from my RRSP. While talking to the TDDI rep on the phone it sounded like he asked: would I want to withdraw the tax ($2500+fee $25+HST 3.25) from my savings account. It did not register what he was really saying (a senior moment ) and I said no. But it bugs me. Can you cash only the NET portion of the RRSP withdrawal from the RRSP, pay the tax from a non registered account thus leave the tax portion invested?

  9. #8
    Senior Member heyjude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by OptsyEagle View Post
    The withholding tax will be 30% ...OR... the percentage you want it to be, whatever is greater.

    Perhaps your planner was under the impression that your wife wanted the marginal tax rate withheld instead of the statutory minimums. In any case it would not have been a brilliant number to uses since marginal tax rates are the taxes payable on your last dollar earned, NOT the tax owed on your taxable income. That being said, I would suspect more then one financial planner, as well as a slew of Canadians would not fully understand what I just said.

    Anyway, as said up thread, it will all get fixed in the spring when she files her 2016 tax return. I would imagine she is going to get a very nice refund this year.
    That's what I was thinking too. It jives with the withholding being identical to her historical marginal tax rate. I'm sure it will be reeconciled during the tax season, but it's always annoying to give the government an interest free loan. This reminds me to always make it clear what my expectations are. I just withdrew an RRSP of about $7000, and, as expected, the withholding was 20%.

  10. #9
    Senior Member My Own Advisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    4,869
    That's the only reasonable explanation...taxes withheld at marginal rate. Otherwise, should be 30% as per CRA for anything over $15,000 at one time.
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkuser View Post
    I'd like to ask a slightly peripheral question. I was withdrawing (for the first time) k$10 NET from my RRSP. While talking to the TDDI rep on the phone it sounded like he asked: would I want to withdraw the tax ($2500+fee $25+HST 3.25) from my savings account. It did not register what he was really saying (a senior moment ) and I said no. But it bugs me. Can you cash only the NET portion of the RRSP withdrawal from the RRSP, pay the tax from a non registered account thus leave the tax portion invested?

    I can't see why not except that the taxes owed in that case would only be $2000, not $2,500. The reason the difference is there is because when you pay the withholding tax from the RRSP, you not only pay taxes on the withdraw but you also pay tax on the money you use to pay the taxes. I am not sure if every financial institution is set up to allow this but it would make for smaller withdrawals and therefore smaller amounts of taxes owing.

    By the way can you not make those withdrawals with TDDI yourself online, and perhaps avoid the $25 service charge?


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •