Gazing into the future... - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Gazing into the future...

There are few "Canadian produced products" except maple syrope, and even that probably uses foreign packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic12 View Post
    Weird that something that is a basic building block of the tax system you see as complex.
    Which also raises the question of why you'd want to make a claim about something that you are depending on the accountant to understand/deal with.

Which is true for a lot of other stuff but tax brackets are cut and dried, with little change in how they operate.

Makes me wonder if instead of tax brackets, the accountant was talking about total tax bill ...

Cheers
    I think you're making something out of nothing, or I'm just not explaining myself very well.

Since I can't change the tax bracket, I don't think it's really important to know the exact number. I never said it was complex, it's just not important to me. It won't affect the decisions I make in order to earn money. Just like I don't memorize every phone number in the phone book...sure, it may be useful, it certainly isn't complex, but it's probably not worth knowing just for the sake of knowing. I'd rather memorize just the numbers that are important to me like friends, family and business associates.

As for my comment about my accountant not knowing everything, I was talking about some more obscure aspects like how long you need to keep your tax records and the exact procedure needed to actually be allowed to destroy them (hint, you need a letter from the government).

I'm not sure why you are so focussed on tax brackets, you seem to be trying to tie everything I say back to them. I'm usually not talking about them because, in case you missed it before, they aren't important to me. Sure, I may have to pay more taxes on money earned above a tax bracket, but that's not going to deter me from earning money, nor is there any way to raise the tax bracket cutoffs.

What's important to me is what I need to know in order the lower my tax bill, within the rules, using things like deductions.

One thing I can control so I educate myself on it, the other I can't so I don't worry about it.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

Quote Originally Posted by sags View Post

The last government that paid down the debt were the Liberals.
    Huh? As I recall The conservatives had some surplus years and Flaherty paid off debt.
    then again, it could have been fake news, but I think not.
    We can not know things as they are in themselves, but only as they appear to us.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    Huh? As I recall The conservatives had some surplus years and Flaherty paid off debt.
    Harper government ran a surplus their first year, then ran six straight deficits and a modest surplus in their final year.

2007-08: surplus $9.6 billion
    2008-09 deficit $5.8 billion
    2009-10: deficit $55.6 billion
    2010-11: deficit $33.4 billion
    2012-13: deficit $18.4 billion
    2013-14: deficit $5.2 billion
    2015-15: surplus $1.9 billion

It may not be fair to blame Harper for any deficit that resulted from the global recession. It may be equally unfair to blame Trudeau for any deficit that is used to fund underfunded project and programs left by the Harper Government.

We have to keep an eye on every government that runs deficits - including the Trudeau Liberals.
    If you have something to say - then say.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    Harper was PM during this time frame
    February 6, 2006 – November 4, 2015

According to the Canadian Taxpayer Federation, the debt was at $493B in 2006. It rose to $612B when Harper left office in 2015.

Well....oops, my mistake, I thought I was on the Gazing into the future thread

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMyOpinion View Post
    Well....oops, my mistake, I thought I was on the Gazing into the future thread
    Alright, here is a plausible article about the future, which claims we are going to be so, so screwed... http://business.financialpost.com/fp...-canadian-jobs

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567