Non Canadian companies on the TSX - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Non Canadian companies on the TSX

i think i will open an africa oil thread among individual companies.

there's a fabulous story there, one that will last for years & years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by humble_pie View Post
    i am still wondering what is the value of accumulating a humungous list of canadian resource companies that own & operate substantial interests in foreign countries.

the majority of canadian resource companies including the large caps own & operate substantial interests in foreign countries. This began soon after WW II.
    Probably OP wants exposure to "foreign" stocks through TSX

i am still wondering what is the value of accumulating a humungous list of canadian resource companies that own & operate substantial interests in foreign countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by humble_pie
    i think i will open an africa oil thread among individual companies.
    there's a fabulous story there, one that will last for years & years to come.
    you answered your own question
    that is the purpose.
    it's no mystery, no secret agenda.

i want to invest directly in foreign countries without access to their individual stock exchanges which is complex and very hard, if not impossible for small investors like me.

i know there are the large conglomerate multi national corporations like Potash, RIM, the 5 banks and so on.
    but i am looking for exclusive operations outside Canada with very little exposure to the economy, politics and conditions in Canada because i do have enough of that.

the idea is to find hidden gems like you have found among the list i posted

and resource companies are not my goal at all, quite the opposite.
    id' love to consider non resource companies but i think that list would be a lot smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_investor View Post
    and resource companies are not my goal at all, quite the opposite.
    id' love to consider non resource companies but i think that list would be a lot smaller.
    I'm not sure if you get list at all

Quote Originally Posted by gibor View Post
    I'm not sure if you get list at all
    There will be a list, I already have some names.
    for instance BOY is construction.
    it's possible that most of non resource foreign companies would turn out to be from China, as is BOY.
    some could be RTO.
    there is always that risk.

does anyone know of a way to get access to Chinese, India or other infrastructure companies that operate toll roads, bridges, highways, ferries, and similar properties.
    i'm thinking those will have decent cash flow and yield.

i'm as interested in foreign investing stories as the next crumb.

however, starting just by determining which companies have offshore operations is perhaps not a good way to go imho, since finance dot canada is a resource-heavy community & the majority of companies with foreign ops will be resource companies. This means a humungous list.

the problem w the smaller companies is running headlong into stories like africa oil.

in AOI's case, deep-rooted islamic militias & terrorists in somalia will do everything in their power to blockade, stop, ultimately blow up, destroy & eliminate the facilities belonging to the infidel canadian resource extractors.

it's not clear to what extent local tribespeople in somalia will or will not support the al-shabaab terrorist militia.

nevsun in eritrea has a delicate, one might say precarious, relationship with the government.

miners like centerra & eldorado gold have had modern, efficient gold mines totally shut down by foreign governments that are either concerned about environmental issues or they want more money or both.

barrick & kinross deal with gigantic political setbacks all the time. Barrick just pulled out of Reko Diqh in waziristan (northwest border land of pakistan where osama bin laden was recently killed) after spending billions $$ in exploration together with chile's antafagasto. Now the waziri & the pakistani are making like they intend to offer the massive mine property to the chinese. Barrick is understandably outraged.

to make long story short i would never think of buying shares of XYZ just because it has offshore operations in bongobongotriabbadad. Something like detour gold with ops in ontario or energy companies with north american ops is quite a bit safer imho.

to fool around w small resource companies in 3rd world countries is to understand that 1) the host region does indeed include the oil or mineral resource which the company promoters are claiming; and 2) top management is capable of dancing with the insanely difficult politics that will, inevitably, be the norm.

my intent is not to find small cap speculative companies operating mines or oil wells in dangerous unreliable parts of the world.
    for some reason the discussion became focused only in that direction

i said somewhere up thread i'm keenly interested in companies with real earnings, cash flow and ideally dividends.
    i'd love cash flow positive companies.
    i mentioned infrastructure sector such as those operating bridges, toll roads, ferries, highways and so on.
    are there any such companies that anyone knows about?

canadian_inv in your first post you yourself offered a list of known small cap high risk companies with challenging offshore operations.

so that is why, ever since, the conversation has trended in that direction.

you mention you also wish to invest in "Chinese, India or other infrastructure companies that operate toll roads, bridges, highways, ferries, and similar properties."

when such mega-projects are publicly traded, they are nearly always found in the country fund or the country etf of the relevant nation. Wouldn't that be an easier way to go, rather than re-inventing the wheel.

i'm as interested in foreign investing stories as the next crumb.

however, starting just by determining which companies have offshore operations is perhaps not a good way to go imho, since finance dot canada is a resource-heavy community & the majority of companies with foreign ops will be resource companies. This means a humungous list.

the problem w the smaller companies is running headlong into stories like africa oil.

[ ... ]
    +1 ... though I'd be more concerned about the extra work.

Returning to my CN example, IMO it's relatively easy to assess the risk based on management style plus the foreign areas they operate in (i.e. Canada and US).

Compare that to say a Chinese manufacturer who could be selling to Japan, Asia, Canada, the US, Sinapore, Burma etc. etc. etc. What are the risk factors, including instability? Can an investor in Canada find out about changes in time to protect the investment capital?

IMO - this is one of the few areas where paying for a money manager makes sense.

As for majority will be resource - maybe and maybe not.

Even "boring" Canadian electricity companies have assets in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Barbados, Grand Bahama, Belize, Central America, as well as Turks and Caicos.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_investor View Post
    my intent is not to find small cap speculative companies operating mines or oil wells in dangerous unreliable parts of the world.
    for some reason the discussion became focused only in that direction

i said somewhere up thread i'm keenly interested in companies with real earnings, cash flow and ideally dividends.
    i'd love cash flow positive companies.
    i mentioned infrastructure sector such as those operating bridges, toll roads, ferries, highways and so on.
    are there any such companies that anyone knows about?
    I think it's trended towards the small cap as that is what is available and is plentiful on the Canadian stock exchanges, as a Canadian company.

If the companies were bigger/dependable - they're less likely to need to jump through the hoops of a Canadian stock exchange listing. For example - if the Chinese manufacturing company is added to an index, there will be demand based on just the ETFs and MFs that track the index.

The question becomes when the effort (as well as Canadian taxes) become too much of a hassle.

Cheers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123