Wynne gov't lying to consumers on cap and trade carbon tax on home heating bills - Page 28
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Wynne gov't lying to consumers on cap and trade carbon tax on home heating bills

Got my Enbridge bill today. They hid Wynne's 3.518 cents per cu meter of gas in the DELIVERY PORTION of my bill.

The other issue is that HST is being charged on the entire bill including the 3.518cents per cu meter of carbon tax they had added on as of January 1.

This represents double taxation..a tax on a taX and this tax represents a $1.12 windfall for Endbridge/Wynne. on my Dec/Jan nat gas usuage of 262 cu M.

I complained to Enbridge first, who said they couldn't do anything about the way their bills are setup, but I could complain to the Ontario Energy Board using the file #EB-2016-0300 in the subject line and lodge my complaint.

The Ontario energy board email is; BoardSec@ontarioenergyboard.ca

Last edited by carverman; 2017-01-19 at 06:58 PM.

^ That sounds about right. I was told by Hydro One and my propane company that the carbon tax will be hidden inside the distribution charge and propane rates. So much for transparency!

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
    ^ That sounds about right. I was told by Hydro One and my propane company that the carbon tax will be hidden inside the distribution charge and propane rates. So much for transparency!
    The effect of hiding this current carbon tax inside other charges (Delivery) is that it is COLLECTED FROM THE CONSUMER of natural gas and therefore subject to double taxation as I mentioned.

With the carbon tax hidden, the Wynne fiberal gov't (and future Ontario gov'ts)can go ahead and increase the carbon tax levey as they need more general revenue.... and it will still be hidden inside other charges that paid by the consumer.

At least the old Ontario Hydro debt retirement charge was shown separately to indicate how much
    each electricity user had to pay.

The OEB should be notified by all nat gas consumers that this practice of hiding additional taxes is not acceptable.

For instance, I calculated that my carbon tax on 292 M3 at 3.518 cents/M3 of nat gas used was $9.20.
    Add the 13% HST on top of this carbon tax and it's another $1.20 making it an effective tax of $10.40
    or 3.5616 cents per cu metre NOT 3.518. A windfall for the corrupt Wynne Liberal gov't!

Now that may seem like much to some of you out there..but if your annual consumption of natgas for heating/hot water is say...1000M3; its, another $35.18 of extra carbon tax you as a consumer have to pay now + $4.57 of extra HST
    on this carbon tax..a tax upon a tax!

I'm quite positive that there will be no real effect on global warming from charging this carbon tax by the Wynne gov't. It is just another tax to pad their coffers and either waste it, or use it to pay down their
    created deficit.

The nat gas suppliers are in on it as well with this cap n trade scheme and they just pass on the tax to the consumers that have no choice but to pay it.

I sent in a protest to the OEB about the double taxation I discovered on my first gas heating bill.

I expect the Wynne gov't to financially rip us off wherever and whenever they can.

This is not transparent gov't but grabbing as much tax revenue as they can now and in the future!
    Last edited by carverman; 2017-01-20 at 07:56 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I don't understand why people get so animated by "double taxation". The government needs a certain amount of revenue, and the rates are set so that they get it. Would you be happy with a carbon tax that was set a bit higher, but exempted from HST?

The other thing to keep in mind is that the carbon tax will be built into the cost of everything since every business uses energy. The services they sell are, for the most part, subject to HST.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewf View Post
    I don't understand why people get so animated by "double taxation". The government needs a certain amount of revenue, and the rates are set so that they get it. Would you be happy with a carbon tax that was set a bit higher, but exempted from HST?

The other thing to keep in mind is that the carbon tax will be built into the cost of everything since every business uses energy. The services they sell are, for the most part, subject to HST.
    I don't like double taxation. The cap n trade scheme that the Wynne gov't is using doesn't concern me. What does concern me as a pensioner on a fixed income that Wynne and her henchmen have the audacity to double tax me.

Don't bury these double or even triple taxes on commodities that consumers use. List it out in the
    open on the monthly bill like the HST.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728