Guroo box tv
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guroo box tv

Guroo box tv

Any one heard of them?
    Apparently you buy a 'box' for about 100. Hook it up to your Internet(wirelessly or wired) and to your TV.
    Then for about 18 - 20.00 a month you have access to about 170 channels (American, Cdn and brit)and all kinds of movies. You can apparently go back two months on most channels to watch shows you missed.
    For those of Asian descent they offer a similiar package of pakistani, Indian and indonesian channels.
    You apparently have 5 days to 'check out' the box then you can return less a 20% restocking fee.
    Even if a total muck up, I figure the most you lose in trying would be about 120. And maybe a bunch of aggravation.

If it works it would cut my cable/ Internet bill by 80.00

They have a store front operation here in Calgary but there is not much info on the Web. There website and a few youtubes they have produced. There are no reviews or info how it works or on legality etc etc Is this like the old pirated dish signals.

The old saying, if it sounds too good....

Cheers and Merry Christmas.
    J

Doesn't sound like a bad deal. I just don't like the monthly subscriptions (let alone that they thought about 'restockingfee's). With an androidbox you spend less money once.

You want to get a Kodi box with the latest version of Android and then download all the add-ons. Price should be under $90 one time. $20/mo must be to cover the lawyers fees. CRTC has published a list of defendants.

Lawsuit

Partial list of vendors
    Last edited by kcowan; 2016-12-25 at 08:51 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Or head to Canada Robotix http://www.canadarobotix.com/robot-p...berry-pi-board
    Buy a Pi3 with some accessories for under $90 and head to Openelec to download an image of Openelec for Raspberry Pi3 http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

Install it on an SDCard and you have your own purpose built Kodi box with no legal issues.

If you have Windows 10, you can download Kodi software - no need for a box. (It may be possible with earlier versions b of Windows.) We have been using it for a month with few problems. Occasionally a file is mislabelled, and you have to shut Kodi down and try again. Also, the streaming services like Exodus will replay films and TV programs they don't have, so you wait for a search, and then find no program. But this is free, so I won't complain.

I have googled the legal implications. As far as I can tell, streaming a TV program or film to watch is not illegal in Canada. It is creating a copy that is illegal, and we don't do that.

I have heard of some boxes crapping out after a few months, so I wouldn't go too cheap.

^
    Just to clarify, Exodus isn't a streaming service, it is a web scraper that goes through torrent websites to find active torrents. Torrents are in the grey area as when you use them, you are simultaneously uploading and downloading.

Also there is nothing illegal about downloading, it is illegal to upload.
    Last edited by bgc_fan; 2016-12-25 at 07:44 PM. Reason: additional clarification

I would be suspicious of any company with a Declaimer: (sic)
    .... Please check with your local laws before requesting the service.

one of my friends uses this guroo tv. he likes it.

Streaming through Kodi or anything else is not illegal yet. I guess its just because the regulations have not formed laws on this new source of watching (otherwise) paid content. Yes, its a gray area definitely, because there is no copyright infringement happening going by the textbook definition of infringement.

But its a no-brainer that soon enough it will be deemed illegal. But when it comes to defining laws, you never know as strange things happen.

Thanks for the replys. I did some more investigating.
    Guroo box will customize your box( software) to your needs. I have no need for urdu or hindi language programming for example.
    They pay a third party for the live stream TV. The third party is the company that provides IPTV to some resorts and also sets up the private channels at malls and resorts that tell you what is happening at the resort.
    The rest is stuff you could ( if technical enough) download and manage yourself but Guroo box puts it all into a nice interface and customises for the non techies. And provides technical support and updates software and programming.
    I sat through a brief demo. For the most part pretty slick. Some things( current movies) took a few seconds to load and occasionally had to reset some things. Reminds me of early computing but much more advanced.
    Still not sure if I will buy it. I am not real techie but son is a software engineer and his girl friend is an electrical engineer, so I have tech support in my basement if I want to try doing it on my own.
    Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast