Canadian Money Forum banner

FUN THREAD HERE!

21K views 73 replies 16 participants last post by  bflannel 
#1 ·
OK - THE THREAD IS :"NEXT DECEMBER(2017), WHAT STOCK WILL I BE GLAD I BOUGHT NOW(DEC. 2016)?"
Only the first 10 responses will be considered. I'll note the current closing prices. And (god willing), I'll resurrect the thread next December - to see how we did!
I'll kick it off:
#1 -CGC
Next?

#37 ·
^^^^
Thumbs down for that suggestion #36

This is 'posed to be a "fun thread" - so let's have some fun.
I think 'twould be interesting to see various & sundry comments made over the next 50 weeks.

'course you could always request that the thread be locked - it's up to you.

#39 ·
^^^^
If you do really well, you might get to meet the Queen!
Templeton started his Wall Street career in 1938 and went on to create some of the world's largest and most successful international investment funds. He took the strategy of "buy low, sell high" to an extreme, picking nations, industries, and companies hitting rock-bottom, what he called "points of maximum pessimism." When war began in Europe in 1939, he borrowed money to buy 100 shares each in 104 companies selling at one dollar per share or less, including 34 companies that were in bankruptcy. Only four turned out to be worthless, and he turned large profits on the others.
https://www.templeton.org/sir-john-templeton/life-story

#45 ·
5i-Research

I just noticed that 5i-Research has two free reports available.

One is for Premium Brands Holdings (PBH) from Jan 2016 when PBH price was $37.82
They gave it a B+ rating at the time.

http://www.5iresearch.ca/research-reports

I used to subscribe to 5i - let it expire; may subscribe again.

In this tongue-in-both-cheeks-at-once article, Peter predicts that FTS will raise their dividend in 2017. ha! good one, Peter.

#53 ·
Sold my Franco-Nevada (FNV)

My 'materials' allocation is still quite high.
Every PM/Materials fund I own holds some FNV, so it's not as if I'm completely out of Franco-N.

- and for something entirely off topic:

h/t @jackschofield

#60 ·
Haha, yes, I'm a "she". :)

Here's the performance at close of market today - up 18% for the year!
Text Font Line Number Parallel

And that's without including Norsat's performance, since they were bought out and their value is showing as zero now. They were originally bought for $10.52 per share and sold for $14.47 per share which is a 37.6% increase. So if we include that back in it brings it up to over 20% for the year.

Best stock was Canopy (WEED) which was Jargey's pick, way to go Jargey!
Worst was CPG, sorry TK.61.

If you had actually invested in the Jargey portfolio I think you would have been happy. Maybe we should do it again this year!

#64 ·
I need some time to think...I'm pretty sure Premium Brands are going to hit $145 in 2018 but looks like we need a riskier small cap ...30% gain not enough. We should add that we need to own lets say a minimum of 10k of our pick...just so we don't get uninvestible crap on the chart? Would make the picks that much more relevant & thoughtful.

#67 ·
Ok put me down for Premium Brands again this year I've got over 50k in it. I really think this thing may be a takeover target and their brands resonate with the millennial crowd, who as we know, never save a dime & blow it all on overpriced food & drink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.