stocks with momentum now? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: stocks with momentum now?

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    Momentum investing is actually a real thing. Hedge funds do it, professional traders do it, and to some degree mutual fund managers do it too. For example, Canadian large caps have good momentum... they have been outperforming since 2000. That's about 16 years of great returns, and many Canadian mutual funds invest based on that theme.
    I tried that early on in investing. For example, bought Loblaws which was a blue chip Canadian stock with momentum in January 2005. Paid $70.30. The momentum continued until end of April 2005, when price reached $76.34 - 4 months of momentum! Then gravity took over. By the end of 2005 price was about $54 and by early 2008 about $30.00. After the 2008 crash, it regained momentum and now is back to about what we paid for it. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....ca_search.png
    So just be careful looking at past performance of any stocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver101 View Post
    ... yes, including bank stocks unless you can assure a period of 2008 that will never repeat.
    BNS was at about $73 in mid 2014. By early 2016, 18 months later it was at $52.00 Prior to that it had excellent momentum!

Momentum? the ones we don't buy/own of course

NVDA and AMD are crazy in the last month

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

reading some of the examples above...I think we sometimes mistakenly replace "momentum" with "greed"....no?

I think much of what we call "investing" comes down to momentum and return chasing, including indexing and couch potato'ing. It doesn't feel good to think of that, though. Why is everyone so keen to buy the S&P 500? Might have something to do with the 8% annual return over 20 years.

I to looked at Loblaws for a long term div. play.

Recent crash, Wal Mart coming in, Galen stepping down, the kid never did anything but run a high end private club. Most telling is on the ground research. Talked to the produce guy at my store. He told me they are hiring every Wal Mart person to get there supply chain fixed. Ok this is not for me, and I was right until recently.

Most don't have a clear goal when buying stocks that's why selling is difficult.

My last deal SL Pharma! Over the counter .46 not what I buy.

All the previous IPO had popped enough for quick turn, they have the bricks and mortar to expand quickly. Trudeau likely to be elected.

My goal is the make enough for 100 share of a bank stock.

The IPP only popped to .50 didn't sell.

Waited until the stupid money showed up and sold for .98. It quickly went to $1.63, but I accomplished my goal 5K invested just shy of 5k profit.

A you guys can twiddle your thumbs about weather it's investing or momentum or anything else.

Waited until the stupid money showed up and sold for .98. It quickly went to $1.63, but I accomplished my goal 5K invested just shy of 5k profit.

like your style roe!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123