Amazon Prime - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon Prime

Quote Originally Posted by mordko View Post
    Not sure why anyone would need AppleTV... We use HTPC which can handle Netflix, Amazon, BBC, store all my favourite TVSeries... Anything you can imagine.
    I have a HDMI cable from my PC.. it can do much of the same thing but not the same way

I've gotten so used to the ease and elegance of Apple TV that connecting the PC is quite archaic by comparison. If there is no specific tvOS app you can still stream anything from any browser to VLC tvOS app.. or airplay

It's like saying "Why does anyone need a smartphone when a laptop does the same.."

Last edited by m3s; 2016-12-15 at 10:24 PM.
    Amat Victoria Curam

^ I used AppleTV in the past. My HTPC uses MediaBrowser set up and in terms of interface is better than Apples because it's configured for my needs. Nor is it a PC but a specialized PC which does not make noise, starts up instantaneously and is designed to show video in high quality.

It's basically like comparing Fiat and Mercedes. AppleTV can hook you up to a limited set of sources. HTPC does everything AppleTV can but better as its personalized. It also does a lot more. The only advantage AppleTV unit has is its size, but HTPC is still designed to look good under a TV.

Quote Originally Posted by mordko View Post
    It's basically like comparing Fiat and Mercedes.
    For cars I would say AppleTV is more like a Tesla. It's very slick and smooth from the factory and it's the future. Although it is somewhat limited today it is less and less everyday (more and more tvOS apps, or Tesla charging stations, are coming everyday)

HTPC is more like a custom muscle car. You build and maintain it yourself just the way you want but the user interface is not as refined or advanced. It takes some more mechanical/technological time and effort to setup, customize and maintain

Unless you've used the latest tvOS you won't get the smartphone analogy. It integrates seamlessly with other devices and apps. It actually is a smart tv as opposed to what is marketed as smart tv today (tv that simply has access to online sources)
    Amat Victoria Curam

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Yes, HTPC takes the effort up front. I spent it about 5 years ago. Agreed. Also costs more to build the initial package, but you probably will recoup your expenditure within a year. User interface can be way better and the feel of the whole experience way more impressive with HTPC, but obviously it depends on you.

I got the Amazon Prime Video iPhone app and signed in just to verify that it streams and has airplay. Really if you have an iPhone you might as well airplay because it's a better remote anyways and you can browse without interrupting playback.

At a glance, the movie selection is really bad. The reviews on the app are really poor too (no chromecast, poor selection, slow speed and poor quality etc) I'll give it a try for a year, really just for Jeremy Clarkson and amazon original content

Amat Victoria Curam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12