Trudeau One Year Later - Page 20
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Trudeau One Year Later

^ Just wait and see what it will be like 3 or 7 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by sags View Post
    Keeping things in context, try to imagine how bad it would be now if Harper was given another 4 years.
    For one thing, he wouldn't have been destroying Canadian competiveness. And boy, are we gonna need it...

I am happy the Minister tore a strip off the bi-partisan committee members for not doing their job.
    Except it was the minister herself who didn't do such a good job. As many predicted, Monsef and Dion would be replaced. They were appointed for all the wrong reasons to begin with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

My granddaughter needed an ambulance to go to Children's Hospital the other day and it really made me think of this Fentanyl crisis.

My problem is what if we couldn't get the help we desperately needed because recourses were being chewed up by people choosing to take this drug. I hope the Trudeau government takes a very hard line on this and we find some tough ways to properly deal with this problem so those ambulances can go to the people who really need it and don't have a choice.

The other one is the people throwing needles on the ground. Either we need safe injection sites which would be mandatory or you will go be taken away and dealt with so you don't endanger children with needles thrown on the ground.

Well folks, as I suspected, sooner or later politicians put either their foot in mouth or receive free benefits for exchange of ?.
    Barely one year later in his term..he has committed the first faux pas..he broke his own rules.

In his own rules for ministerial accountability published online after the 2015 election, Trudeau outlined how ministers “sponsored travel,” including “all travel on non-commercial chartered or private aircraft for any purpose except in exceptional circumstances, and only with the prior approval of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner and public disclosure of the use of such aircraft.”
    It seems then, that the conflict of interest rules that apply to everyone else, do not apply to Trudeau.
    https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...khan-trip.html

Our Prime Minister is no exception like other politicians before him, in spite of his announcement to Canadians that his govern will be different and more transparent to Canadians from previous governments.

Now since taking advantage of free hospitality on Aga Khan's private Bahamanian island and a free helicopter ride, he has broken TWO conflict of interest rules.
    Apparently AGA Khan's "foundation " recieves millions of dollars from the Canadian gov't.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...land-trip.html

And since Trudeau appointed the ethics commissioner for only 6 months, she will be in a quandry to find him guilty or not, on 2 counts of conflict of interest.
    If found guilty, this will be a big embarrassement to Trudeau, a slap on the wrist or a minor fine ($500) and the ethics commissoner could be (more than likely), out of a job when her 6 month term expires in July.

If found not guilty, she could keep her job a while longer but then then public outcry of corruption/secret deals and nepotisim within his party ranks will be the talk of the day.
    Last edited by carverman; 2017-01-17 at 10:14 AM.

If Trudeau broke the rules, knowingly or inadvertantly.........he should be held accountable and accept he was wrong.

I think it is a bit flimsy, considering that Trudeau paid his own airfare costs to the Bahamas, and from what I can ascertain accepted a helicopter ride and lodging at his long time family friend's lodging...........but it is what it is.

Canadians are quick to forgive, appreciate when someone makes a mistake and owns up to it, and are willing to move on.

A public apology and a commitment to be more studious in following the rules would be in Trudeau's favor.

It would also give him the credibility to demand adherence to the rules from MPs, as he could say the rules apply to everyone, including me.
    Someone planted a tree a long time ago so I can sit in the shade.

Canadians are quick to forgive, appreciate when someone makes a mistake and owns up to it, and are willing to move on.

A public apology and a commitment to be more studious in following the rules would be in Trudeau's favor.

It would also give him the credibility to demand adherence to the rules from MPs, as he could say the rules apply to everyone, including me.
    You're right. Probably too much so. Just leaves the door open to allow him to do it again and offer up another apology that we will forgive yet again and the cycle continues. We as Canadians are probably too accommodating and forgiving to force any sort of change. Especially seeing the younger demographic read and believe what they choose and seemingly dismiss issues such as this.

If Trudeau broke the rules, knowingly or inadvertantly.........he should be held accountable and accept he was wrong.
    Apparently Trudeau regards Aga Khan as a long time family friend and there is something in the wording of governmental ethics that "gifts" can be accepted by ministers (in this case the PM), from family friends.

Not sure how true this is, just heard it on the media news,so more than likely he may use this provision
    in the conflict of interest rules as an excuse...it was only a venue for a family vacation offered, and maybe
    nothing else.

Secondly, on the free helicopter ride, IF it was the ONLY way for the PM to get to the private island with his family (and a couple other MPs, Seamus O'Regan), he could use that as an excuse that this was an exception to the conflict of interest rules and he should not be punished for this exception.
    After all it was his Christmas vacation we are talking about and not official gov't business.

I agree that it's a minor "faux pas", but nevertheless, still questionable and needs to be investigated through the proper channels the same as the Mike Duffy affair, which cost the Canadian taxpayer millions to find him..well..."not exactly guilty, but not exactly innocent either, so he got off.

It was the lack of rigid rules, and the personal interpretation of the senate rules that gave Duffy leeway to do what he wanted with public money, if he even interpreted the senate rules at all.
    However, once precendence is set..then everyone after can interpret the rules to suit their individual situations concerning conflict of interest.

A public apology could be seen as an admission of guilt of "bending the conflict of interest rules".
    I'm sure he will have a better response once the ethics commissioner finishes her investigation..and in the interest of keeping her job...
    Last edited by carverman; 2017-01-17 at 10:34 AM.

Canadians are like honey bees........as Harper and the PC government in Alberta discovered.

Hard working and normally complacent as the industrious honey bee may be.........mash a stick around in the hive and see what happens.

If Trudeau wants to combine longevity with leadership..........he best always remember the honey bee.

As my dad used to observe about Jean Chretien's long tenure in government.

He would say.......you never hear much about Chretien. He comes in and does a few things and then disappears for a long time.

One secret to longevity is not to be front and center all the time, which draws attention to your flaws as well as your assets.

Stephen Harper did well in a quiet minority government. Then he got the majority.....and his fortunes immediately started to sour.

When you stand on the pedestal, the idea of throwing rocks at you becomes more appealing to the gathering crowd.

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast