Koodo 5GB MB/SK Plan vs Public Mobile 12GB Fall Promo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Koodo 5GB MB/SK Plan vs Public Mobile 12GB Fall Promo

Koodo 5GB MB/SK Plan vs Public Mobile 12GB Fall Promo

The illusive Koodo 5GB (sometime 6GB) MB/SK has been known as the best plan in Canada thanks its Manitoba Telecom competition (recently bought out by Bell) This plan has been in the news as people list it in the classifieds.. however anyone in Canada can get it with a little know how

Koodo 5GB MB/SK Plan
    Price: $49.50/month ($55 less $5.50 BYOD) Post paid
    Network: Telus
    Data: 5GB/month (sometimes 6GB with promo) and $10/GB automatic overage
    Text: Unlimited Canada wide and US $5 for 100 text sent
    Voice: Unlimited Canada wide and US $1.50/min
    US 10 day roaming: $40 for 250MB, unlimited voice and text
    Customer service: Has call centres but emphasis on self-serve websites and app, kiosks in most malls

The Public Mobile fall promo available until Nov 20 is the cheapest data plan yet on a major LTE network without Chatr throttling or Wind coverage issues. It is $11.50/month less than the Koodo plan and uses the same network..

Public Mobile 12GB Fall Promo
    Price: $114/90 days prepaid ($120 less $2/month auto renewal) and potentially less with $1/month referral discounts
    Network: Telus
    Data: 12GB/90 days and $15/500MB prepaid add ons
    Text: Unlimited Global
    Voice: Unlimited Province wide, $8 for 200min international and unused minutes roll over to next cycle
    US 10 day roaming: $20 for 250MB, unlimited voice and text
    Customer service: No call centres or kiosks, entirely self serve and community driven (public forums)

I and many others are now considering the switch from the infamous Koodo plan to this Public Mobile promo. My reasons are that the data is over a 90 day period (some months I use a lot of data and other months I don't use any) and the price is $11.50 lower per month to boot

Long distance is not an issue to me as there are many many apps which can do global voice over data.. One potential issue is receiving long distance calls as this is a prepaid plan.. you could either pay the $8 for 200 mins or setup a VoIP number/app/voicemail

amat victoria curam

Promo is back

$55/month for 4GB, unlimited text, unlimited provincial talk, on a 90 day plan

I've been using them since Nov and very happy
    amat victoria curam

I still have the MB plan, with an additional 25% discount (ends up $40 and change with tax).

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I use ATT mygophone plan...$60...unlimited text/calling/22gb LTE unlimited 2g after that data in USA,Canada & Mexico...cost is in USD

Quote Originally Posted by andrewf View Post
    I still have the MB plan, with an additional 25% discount (ends up $40 and change with tax).
    25% discount?

Quote Originally Posted by Eder View Post
    I use ATT mygophone plan...$60...unlimited text/calling/22gb LTE unlimited 2g after that data in USA,Canada & Mexico...cost is in USD
    Yea I've heard of these. I even had a US sim card for several months last year so I should have looked into them
    amat victoria curam

I have a 25% koodo discount that is not available to the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by m3s View Post
    25% discount?

Yea I've heard of these. I even had a US sim card for several months last year so I should have looked into them
    Caveat is that half the calls and texts have to be in the US (according to the fine print).

Actually I've been in USA 1 month then rest of the time in Mexico (6 months) this year...no problem so might not be too wired up on enforcing that. I roam on Telcel in Mexico and Rogers in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewf View Post
    Caveat is that half the calls and texts have to be in the US (according to the fine print).
    They don't seem to worry about it though after 2 years.

It always surprises me how much people pay for cell phone service. Do you really need to pay that much? especially for those who say they can live on $40k/yr?

I am quite a bit older than many here, but I do have a smartphone! We spend 3 months in USA and 9 here.

I have a knowroaming Global SIM. It allows me to use various carriers on both sides of border with free LD. Here I am sometimes on Rogers, sometimes on Bell. In USA mostly AT&T. It is a pay as you go plan.

I very seldom make cell calls. When I do make calls, it seems I am mostly at some place that has wifi (home, Homedepot, Timmies, Starbucks, Lowes etc) I call using Hangouts (aka Google Voice - free calls anywhere in NA.) If no wifi, can also use Hangouts on Knowroaming data (10c/MB in USA, 15c/MB in Canada).

If I need data access from phone when away from wifi, I switch it on, otherwise data is turned off. Knowroaming also works in hundreds of other countries. The service includes free Whatsapp use. K-R gives you a US and a UK number. A Canadian number costs $3/month. I don't have one yet. In past 3 months, my total cell service cost has been about $10.00. Actually, not true. It is zero because K-R give you $10 for buying the $10 sim plus some other credits.

I realize that this doesn't suit heavy users, but for retirees and others who want something that works in most countries, it's worth looking at. (BTW, all costs are in US$ but K-R is based in Toronto)

Last edited by agent99; 2017-04-22 at 10:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast