Cabinet suggestions for my outdoor shed - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cabinet suggestions for my outdoor shed

Quote Originally Posted by humble_pie View Post
    oak! can you imagine what pieces of oak would cost these days, if a cabinet maker were to set out to create a new desk from solid oak. Even a small school desk would break the budget, let alone a magisterial piece with the proportions your desk has.
    planed and season oak boards are no longer affordable to build any kind of furniture..at $30-$40 for a small 8 inch x 4 ft board at H-D, you can only wish these days. It's all going to melamine particle board these days I'm afraid...cheap junk.

re lane dumping, finding used cabinets & other furniture at 2nd hand stores, kijiji, habitat reStores. Ours is probably the last generation that will still be able to find a few valuable older solid wood pieces here & there, among the tossed particle board & plastic flotsam.
    Yes,it's pretty hard to find any real wood in the tossed out pieces these days.

unbelievably, some people are still throwing out the fine old pieces. Fine old is becoming harder & harder to find, though, because the antique pickers always get there first.
    used to be a TV series called Canadian Pickers...they would get a tip and visit estate sales, old barns, and peoples attic looking for a "score" at cheap prices, then sell the item again without doing anything to it for a profit...too many of those around these days,even legitimate antique dealers have a hard time getting their hands on real antiques these days.

me i feel we owe it to the history of humanity to preserve the fine old pieces of a century ago whenever we happen to stumble upon them. The workmanship in everything made prior to World War I - in cabinet-making, in jewellery, in silver-smithing, in iron-working, in dress-making, weaving, knitting - was of a standard that has never been met since. The most ordinary pearl button, cut from an oyster shell to be sewn onto the cuff of a linen shirt in 1910, was an exquisite work of art.
    Workmanship from a bygone era that will never come again. Any kind of period furniture can go for a fortune at these antique auctions..such as the ones we see on TV.

How about a new thread.... "Drawer Pulls on the Cabinet for My New Shed"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mukhang pera View Post
    I hear ya'.

I am sitting here at my computer workstation, which happens to be a large, solid and handsome oak desk with cabinets, shelves and drawers that some benefactor kindly set out in a back lane in Vancouver's West End in 2006. It took 3 trips to get it home in the back of a Corvette, leaving the rear hatch open. I could hardly believe that someone would just dump such a thing, in pristine condition, with all of its parts. It came sans bedbugs. Deskbugs maybe. Bedbugs were an optional extra and I cheaped out. I know, in modern parlance, we no longer say "optional" when it comes to things like buying cars, etc., that come with just the basics for the advertised price. Everything is now "available". Such a clever way of concealing its true nature, at least from someone with the IQ of a snail. Just like my oak desk. It's not a "used desk"; it's "pre-owned" and worth much more accordingly.
    ... your Corvette must have been a very sturdy and well-coated roadster to haul that heavy pre-owned oak desk or pieces thereof. Guys car owners usually don't like to see scratches or dents on their babies.
    Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver101 View Post
    ... your Corvette must have been a very sturdy and well-coated roadster to haul that heavy pre-owned oak desk or pieces thereof. Guys car owners usually don't like to see scratches or dents on their babies.

It was rather sturdy, bought new in 1998.

At the time of the event in question, we were planning to move to the off-grid location in which we find ourselves at present. We were living in the West End in a high-rise condo one block from where we picked up the desk. In anticipation of the move here, I had already started accumulating a few things such as moving blankets (which I still have, stored in an outbuilding...still useful, on occasion). On seeing the desk - I was on foot - I walked home, stuffed a few of those blankets in the back of the car and my wife and I returned to the scene. Although that probably took no more than 20 minutes, I expected I might find someone else beating me to it. Seeing abandoned furniture in a West End back alley was an everyday sight, but something of this quality was definitely unusual. Anyway, my wife and I found things undisturbed and we were able to do the deed with dispatch.

Had we not been moving to spacious new digs, I probably would have passed on the desk, with some reluctance. It was really much too big for our condo. But where we are now, it fits perfectly and I doubt I could find better, at any price.

As for the Vette, it has now passed into history. I bought it (and a 96 Corvette 2 years before) when living in southern California. Great cars for that location. Okay in Vancouver, for about 7 months a year. Not at all okay for where we are now. So it morphed into a pickup truck. My wife bought me a scale model replica of the last Corvette to go (the 98) which now sits on the oak desk. A reminder of another era.

Left to my own devices, I would never have bought a Corvette, or anything like it. Let's just say that someone put me up to it. Until that time, I thought buying anything other than the most inexpensive form of transportation was a conspicuous waste of money. I had to argue that one with my father, who thought the car I drove for many years was an embarrassment. He always thought I should buy a car that showed of my financial ability to buy more car and to show the world that I had somehow "made it" in my profession. I told him that my Vancouver Kerrisdale address already spoke to that, as well as my downtown office address and my daily work. But he thought an expensive car was a necessary trapping to round things off. It took someone else - not a father figure - to get me to budge. So, the result was that I drove Corvettes for 12 years. I am grateful to the one who influenced me. I derived far more enjoyment from the darn things than expected. They were a lot of fun to drive. Everyone should have such a thing once in life. I don't miss them, but I am happy to have had the experience.

I would go to a used building supply store. Lots of cabinets,doors,fixtures,whatever.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123