Cabinet suggestions for my outdoor shed - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet suggestions for my outdoor shed

Quote Originally Posted by carverman View Post
    It really all depends on what the OP is lookimng for to organize her shed storage.

looking for the "right" storage cabinet(s) at:
    etc etc ...

CAN BE a big waste of time..lots of time wasted, and then how do you get these cabinets home? ...
    Hire a panel truck for $100 a day at Hertz? and arrange for a couple of friends with strong backs to lift them onto the truck?

... +1 and I would avoid the "freebie furniture dump in laneways, etc" unless one wants free (?) bedbugs too. >> shrivel <<<

Last edited by Beaver101; 2016-10-28 at 02:36 PM.
    Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

If you're close to Habitat ReStore, there are always a ton of cabinets in excellent shape for very cheap. Consider that as an option. You can always buy new knobs from the hardware store.

baloney!

Don't BS me Humble..I was and still am a woodworker/carver! if you don't know what your are talking about..then don't muddy the f_-king waters!!!!!

thank you for the charming message. But i'm just curious here. Carverman how come you've never learned - after all these years - to stop exploding with rage & bawling out your trademark curses in cmf forum?

as for your garden shed cabinet, upthread you have recommended a basic home depot cabinet shell for $94. Also 2 doors at $68 each. Plus a countertop with possible melamine overlay, no price mentioned but such would run around $100. Plus taxes. Plus delivery, because - with all due respect - i do not believe you when you claim you would go pick up the extremely heavy package yourself in your "vehicle."

me i'm only a poor dumb crumb, but in my simple elementary school arithmetic, 94 + 68 + 68 + 100 + taxes + delivery/shipping would total something like $400.

next is the cost of assembly & installation. Many folks would hire a handyman because they don't have the time or the tools. Another $100-200. Infinitely complicated by the fact that every capable carpenter/handyman in my area is already booked up long past christmas. I'm sure the ottawa area is the same.

you are certainly extraordinarily fortunate if indeed you have a "friend" who is willing to donate volunteered hours working for you for free, according to your "instructions" & under your irascible eye, all without charge. Lucky you! hope the good fortune continues!!

(signed)
    love, cupcake

''bonté gracieuse et toute cette sorte de chose" - Astérix chez les bretons]

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I've always made my own doors on my custom cabinets.
    I've done that too but it isn't worth it. For just a carcass, it's too cheap to buy one to be worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by humble_pie View Post
    thank you for the charming message. But i'm just curious here. Carverman how come you've never learned - after all these years - to stop exploding with rage & bawling out your trademark curses in cmf forum?
    Probably because you have a way to getting to me (sometimes), and not in a nice way (sometimes).

as for your garden shed cabinet, upthread you have recommended a basic home depot cabinet shell for $94. Also 2 doors at $68 each. Plus a countertop with possible melamine overlay, no price mentioned but such would run around $100. Plus taxes. Plus delivery, because - with all due respect - i do not believe you when you claim you would go pick up the extremely heavy package yourself in your "vehicle."
    These were just "off the top of my head" suggestions H.P.

The OP was asking for opinions on cabinets for a garden shed and (I presume it was a a "she", did not provide any information on this thread of the size or construction of the garden shed, so it was just a starting point in the conversation on this thread.

Obviously, if it was a wooden shed (10x12) as most municipalities allow without upgrading property taxes, there is more room for cabinets inside (lower and upper) and unless you can find someone who is upgrading and tossing out the old ones (as on Kijji), then you have to be more resourceful in providing shelving in a garden shed.

Stacked shelves hung off walls (like I have in my 10x12 wooden garden shed in my back yard. But from other posts (in Discussions) she seemed to be more interested in the plastic Rubbermaid style (which also comes in a knockdown shipping container).
    I only had experience with that kind at my old campground. One lady decided on one of these on her trailer lot instead of the usual tin shed, but this rubbermaid one turned out to be just as flimsy as the tin sheds.

me i'm only a poor dumb crumb, but in my simple elementary school arithmetic, 94 + 68 + 68 + 100 + taxes + delivery/shipping would total something like $400.
    What no scientific calculator?
    Yes, that would be $400 and certainly too costly to install ins a plastic "Rubbermaid" type of garden shed (8ft x 2ft or 8ft x 4ft).
    Shelving (particle board with some kind of finish) at the cheapest cost possible would be the way to go.

next is the cost of assembly & installation. Many folks would hire a handyman because they don't have the time or the tools. Another $100-200. Infinitely complicated by the fact that every capable carpenter/handyman in my area is already booked up long past christmas. I'm sure the ottawa area is the same.
    I was not suggesting hiring a carpenter'/handyman to assemble cabinets, even if the pieces are cut to size (as I suggested at H-D) and those pieces carried home in the trunk or back seat of a car.
    Also, I was not suggesting renting a van to pick up pieces of furniture at someone's home who is trying to sell old kitchen cabinets (which may or may not) fit "the shed" either.

you are certainly extraordinarily fortunate if indeed you have a "friend" who is willing to donate volunteered hours working for you for free, according to your "instructions" & under your irascible eye, all without charge. Lucky you! hope the good fortune continues!!
    Yes, I am. I help him/he helps me.

(signed)
    love, cupcake
    Ah, thank you H.P. Yesterday must have been a bad day for me..should have counted to 10..instead of ranting
    I apologise for that.
    Last edited by carverman; 2016-10-29 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver101 View Post
    ... +1 and I would avoid the "freebie furniture dump in laneways, etc" unless one wants free (?) bedbugs too. >> shrivel <<<
    Bedbugs and other crawling insects too. Comes with the territory with discarded bed mattresses and foundations or sofas/armchairs. Those are best left for garbage pickup.

I have seen the odd piece of old discarded wood furniture put out on the front lawns on my street.
    Old desk or computer table, but not too many cabinets that would be appropriate for a garden shed,
    that is... if one wants to make ample use of that small space inside.
    Usually it's a DIY custom fit in those.
    Last edited by carverman; 2016-10-29 at 07:46 AM.

i have a beautiful item that my neighbour gave me just before she put it on the curb when her kitchen was being remodelled.

it's a four-shelf open herb & spice shelf rack in pine. Not quite a metre high, about 4 feet wide, with shelves 4.5 inches deep, it easily holds from 40 to 60 glass jars of dried seeds, herbs, grains & spices.

a few years have mellowed the pine into a attractive dark honey-amber colour. The linseed oil french polish finish i gave it didn't hurt either. The entire structure fits perfectly into a small recess next to the stove, behind the kitchen door, as if built to order for my house.

what i like best is that the unit was made by her husband. The neighbourly generosity exudes. I'm pretty sure it will become an heirloom for my children. On the other hand, her own children are growing up now, it's entirely possible that some day i'll give the spice shelf back to one of my neighbour's children.

seriously, we are supposed to buy/acquire objects made of natural materials that last a long time. We are admonished to reduce consumption, stop buying new, never use disposables, re-use all items, recycle. We are instructed to repair, rebuild, re-frame, restore.

long live my pretty neighbour's spice shelf. It's the curbside dump that keeps on giving & giving.

i have a beautiful item that my neighbour gave me just before she put it on the curb when her kitchen was being remodelled.

... It's the curbside dump that keeps on giving & giving.
    I hear ya'.

I am sitting here at my computer workstation, which happens to be a large, solid and handsome oak desk with cabinets, shelves and drawers that some benefactor kindly set out in a back lane in Vancouver's West End in 2006. It took 3 trips to get it home in the back of a Corvette, leaving the rear hatch open. I could hardly believe that someone would just dump such a thing, in pristine condition, with all of its parts. It came sans bedbugs. Deskbugs maybe. Bedbugs were an optional extra and I cheaped out. I know, in modern parlance, we no longer say "optional" when it comes to things like buying cars, etc., that come with just the basics for the advertised price. Everything is now "available". Such a clever way of concealing its true nature, at least from someone with the IQ of a snail. Just like my oak desk. It's not a "used desk"; it's "pre-owned" and worth much more accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukhang pera View Post
    I am sitting here at my computer workstation, which happens to be a large, solid and handsome oak desk with cabinets, shelves and drawers that some benefactor kindly set out in a back lane in Vancouver's West End in 2006 ... I could hardly believe that someone would just dump such a thing, in pristine condition, with all of its parts.

oak! can you imagine what pieces of oak would cost these days, if a cabinet maker were to set out to create a new desk from solid oak. Even a small school desk would break the budget, let alone a magisterial piece with the proportions your desk has.

re lane dumping, finding used cabinets & other furniture at 2nd hand stores, kijiji, habitat reStores. Ours is probably the last generation that will still be able to find a few valuable older solid wood pieces here & there, among the tossed particle board & plastic flotsam.

unbelievably, some people are still throwing out the fine old pieces. Fine old is becoming harder & harder to find, though, because the antique pickers always get there first.

me i feel we owe it to the history of humanity to preserve the fine old pieces of a century ago whenever we happen to stumble upon them. The workmanship in everything made prior to World War I - in cabinet-making, in jewellery, in silver-smithing, in iron-working, in dress-making, weaving, knitting - was of a standard that has never been met since. The most ordinary pearl button, cut from an oyster shell to be sewn onto the cuff of a linen shirt in 1910, was an exquisite work of art.

what i like best is that the unit was made by her husband. The neighbourly generosity exudes. I'm pretty sure it will become an heirloom for my children. On the other hand, her own children are growing up now, it's entirely possible that some day i'll give the spice shelf back to one of my neighbour's children.

seriously, we are supposed to buy/acquire objects made of natural materials that last a long time. We are admonished to reduce consumption, stop buying new, never use disposables, re-use all items, recycle. We are instructed to repair, rebuild, re-frame, restore.

That's a good policy and I certainly respect that Humble.

I hear you Humble.

Here is one of my 3 side pine cabinets...I made every part of it including the stain glass panels for the upper doors. I'm quite proud of my work, and did 5 of these in 2004 through 2007 during the winter months. as well as carvings.

The top and bottom are fitted together but come apart for easier moving. Base coat finish is Minwax Polyurethane satin finish, 3-4 coats. Each coat was wet sanded with 400=600 grit wet and dry sandpaper and water.
    Final shading finish is Mohawk spray shading lacquer ( medium walnut) and then after a 3 weeks of drying, hand rubbed
    with hardwood floor paste wax for more protection for the lacquer final coat.

hardware is Lee Valley. Bottom door design (raised solid pine doors) is my own hand carved design,.

What do you guys think of some of Carverman's furniture projects. I made a lot more, including 6 sided curio cabinets
    (3 of those). did it in 2004 through 2008 when I was still able to use all my power tools in the workshop.

My son and daughter have 2 each of the 3 corner pine cabinets. Very unique with a 5 sided cutlery pull out drawer
    in the middle, divided up for silverware sets. family heirlooms that they will appreciate more after I am gone.
    downstairs with 3 corner cabinet.jpg

Last edited by carverman; 2016-10-29 at 05:24 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast