Buy Nothing month
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy Nothing month

Buy Nothing month

Has anyone successfully done a buy nothing month? I am going to try it out. According to this

http://www.buynothingnew.com.au/

This month is a buy nothing new month. I think it is worth a try. I can still buy used books!

OR get them from the library

Quote Originally Posted by latebuyer View Post
    Has anyone successfully done a buy nothing month? I am going to try it out. According to this

http://www.buynothingnew.com.au/

This month is a buy nothing new month. I think it is worth a try. I can still buy used books!
    ... it will be practically hard not to buy anything as long as one exists. Even you don't "shop=buy" anything for a month, you're still "consuming=buy" in other ways. Eg. internet service to post in this forum unless using service at library in which case, taxpayers (including you) are paying=buying for this service.

As a "latebuyer" perhaps you can defer your "buying" for a lot longer than the most of us. Good luck with your buy-nothing-for-a-month exercise though.
    Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

^Agreed. It's the same as people who claim everyone should boycott the gas stations for a day. Unless you change y our driving habits or don't drive at all that day, all you're doing is deferring your purchase to a later date - the consumption stays the same.

I think one could certainly try a buy nothing non-essential this month. Or use only the food you have on hand/freezer this month until pantry and freezer are empty. Of course you'll have to refill them the next month, but you might be addressing some food waste concerns that way.

Buying things are what creates and maintains jobs, the economy and in the long term, our standard of living.

This is a really good idea, but you need to make sure you do it properly. Make sure you and your kids eat second-hand food and provide your wife with pre-used tampons. It's amazing what you can acquire with a little dumpster diving these days.

Super Moderator
    The only way someone could accomplish this is by deferring their buying (e.g. stock up on food or supplies). And then you haven't proved anything, only shifted the purchases by ~ 30 days.

A more useful exercise might be a camping/hunting trip, and trying to live off the land with some hunting. Not only would you grow beyond the city experience, but also experience the traditional Canadian experience.

You could also adopt some of that lifestyle to actually reduce your material consumption, if it works for you.

I have tried a modified version. I think just not buying anything for a month is silly as that is about deferring items for 30 days. However, because I buy in bulk a lot, and sometimes don't use things up before they go bad, I have instituted modified versions. It's usually with the exception of fruits and vegetables, and milk for the kids, we don't buy groceries for a month. I don't prestock up and just try to make meals with what we have. It allows me to use to the stuff on the freezer that is fine, but i didn't get around to eating. I use up older pantry supplies or things, that I wonder why the heck I bought. I don't know it is exactly a month, sometimes it's For couple of weeks, but it is usually when I am feeling like I have throw out too much food, and my freezer is really full. I get pretty creative the longer we go.

We don't buy a lot of other things on a month, except for what is needed. So, not buying groceries for a month is our biggest spending
    On a 'smart' device, please excuse autocorrect/when letters are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugging Along View Post
    I have tried a modified version. I think just not buying anything for a month is silly as that is about deferring items for 30 days. However, because I buy in bulk a lot, and sometimes don't use things up before they go bad, I have instituted modified versions. It's usually with the exception of fruits and vegetables, and milk for the kids, we don't buy groceries for a month. I don't prestock up and just try to make meals with what we have. It allows me to use to the stuff on the freezer that is fine, but i didn't get around to eating. I use up older pantry supplies or things, that I wonder why the heck I bought. I don't know it is exactly a month, sometimes it's For couple of weeks, but it is usually when I am feeling like I have throw out too much food, and my freezer is really full. I get pretty creative the longer we go.

We don't buy a lot of other things on a month, except for what is needed. So, not buying groceries for a month is our biggest spending
    I like deferring, if you hestitate and defer a purchase you may end up buying less.
    I can't tell you the times I almost bought something, but delayed for months, and ended up not buying it.
    I also think that focus on that item kept me from thinking about buying other items.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatt View Post
    I like deferring, if you hestitate and defer a purchase you may end up buying less.
    I can't tell you the times I almost bought something, but delayed for months, and ended up not buying it.
    I also think that focus on that item kept me from thinking about buying other items.
    That will work fine for discretionary purchases, but for food, it's not like you're going to rethink 'do we even need cheese at all' after running out 2 weeks ago.

With my last car, I came a day or two shy of making it an entire month without buying gas. And that was with commuting to work, going to sports, grocery shopping, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast