Buy Nothing month - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buy Nothing month

Quote Originally Posted by new dog View Post
    Go to the states to buy cheese and then you will be ok. If you are not near the border this will be a problem.
    We are not near the border, and I have to say I am not a huge fan of diary in the US. We have been there for periods of time, and I have found the milk a little 'off' in taste, not in a gone bad type of way. Doesn't matter anyways because we don't live near the border

On a 'smart' device, please excuse autocorrect/when letters are missing.

How ironic this thread. We have just conditionally a new home. With a short possession date , we have decided to not buy anything (Unless it's related to the move) or repairing our current home.

This includes food.

We have agreed until we move in we will only allow the following items to be purchased

Milk, bread, fruits, and veggies. No meat, will will eat from the freezer. We are going to try and eat down our pantry.
    No other purchases, except the Xmas presents for and our kids.
    We will buy items that we don't have in order to prepare for the move, like packing supplies.

Stay tuned.
    On a 'smart' device, please excuse autocorrect/when letters are missing.

I've done it pretty much with clothes! No need to buy new ones actually every month - 1-2 times per year is okay.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    I've done it pretty much with clothes! No need to buy new ones actually every month - 1-2 times per year is okay.
    That doesn't sound like you are really done with clothes. Like a recovering alcoholic, you should not touch it at all. Ever.

I decided to try again and tried a buy nothing for the length of my visa statement. I was doing really well and then today (the second last day of the ban) i spent money on clothes. I still think my visa total is less then normal but i don't think i'll try a ban again. It just doesn't seem to work. Its better i just try to stick to my budget. Clothes is one of my problem categories:-) Still i think aiming for a low visa statement is more motivating then a buy nothing month as it is always nice to have a low visa amount due.

This is awesome!! I regularly try to do "buy nothing days" where I won't spend a single dollar.... buy nothing month is next level lol

Almost every month is buy nothing month for me, except food. There are even some months I could almost go without buying food, due to sale shopping. Christmas shopping and new clothes every two or three years.

I think it's easy when you hate shopping. If you have many years of budgeting, clearing everything out of the daily account but money for bills or rent/mortgage (excess to debt payment or savings), there's nothing left to spend anyway. The budgeting is brainwashing, making you think you're broke. lol

Instead of looking at it as buy nothing month, look at it as debt repayment month, or savings month. Not deprivation, but future freedom.

I like the idea of thinking about it as a savings month. That is a much more positive way to look at it. Maybe if i tried to have a savings goal?

I could do it on my own - probably even with food, it would be a good opportunity to use up older stock. But other family members would not be so interested.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123