Canadian Money Forum banner

Buy Nothing month

10K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Spidey 
#1 ·
Has anyone successfully done a buy nothing month? I am going to try it out. According to this

http://www.buynothingnew.com.au/

This month is a buy nothing new month. I think it is worth a try. I can still buy used books!

#3 ·
Has anyone successfully done a buy nothing month? I am going to try it out. According to this

http://www.buynothingnew.com.au/

This month is a buy nothing new month. I think it is worth a try. I can still buy used books!
... it will be practically hard not to buy anything as long as one exists. Even you don't "shop=buy" anything for a month, you're still "consuming=buy" in other ways. Eg. internet service to post in this forum unless using service at library in which case, taxpayers (including you) are paying=buying for this service.

As a "latebuyer" perhaps you can defer your "buying" for a lot longer than the most of us. :biggrin: Good luck with your buy-nothing-for-a-month exercise though.

#4 ·
^Agreed. It's the same as people who claim everyone should boycott the gas stations for a day. Unless you change y our driving habits or don't drive at all that day, all you're doing is deferring your purchase to a later date - the consumption stays the same.

I think one could certainly try a buy nothing non-essential this month. Or use only the food you have on hand/freezer this month until pantry and freezer are empty. Of course you'll have to refill them the next month, but you might be addressing some food waste concerns that way.

#7 ·
The only way someone could accomplish this is by deferring their buying (e.g. stock up on food or supplies). And then you haven't proved anything, only shifted the purchases by ~ 30 days.

A more useful exercise might be a camping/hunting trip, and trying to live off the land with some hunting. Not only would you grow beyond the city experience, but also experience the traditional Canadian experience.

You could also adopt some of that lifestyle to actually reduce your material consumption, if it works for you.

#8 ·
I have tried a modified version. I think just not buying anything for a month is silly as that is about deferring items for 30 days. However, because I buy in bulk a lot, and sometimes don't use things up before they go bad, I have instituted modified versions. It's usually with the exception of fruits and vegetables, and milk for the kids, we don't buy groceries for a month. I don't prestock up and just try to make meals with what we have. It allows me to use to the stuff on the freezer that is fine, but i didn't get around to eating. I use up older pantry supplies or things, that I wonder why the heck I bought. I don't know it is exactly a month, sometimes it's For couple of weeks, but it is usually when I am feeling like I have throw out too much food, and my freezer is really full. I get pretty creative the longer we go.

We don't buy a lot of other things on a month, except for what is needed. So, not buying groceries for a month is our biggest spending

#9 ·
I like deferring, if you hestitate and defer a purchase you may end up buying less.
I can't tell you the times I almost bought something, but delayed for months, and ended up not buying it.
I also think that focus on that item kept me from thinking about buying other items.

#13 ·
I think the intent is to not stop buying food, but discretionary purchases like clothes. However, with a trip to the States coming up, I am finding my resolve weakening. I still haven't discovered how to curb my eating out and clothing spending even though I budget and track my spending. I think it does help to budget but I do go over budget usually. How does one develop will power?

#14 ·
Lol... I just realized that I don't buy that much on a monthly basis, except food. I buy some clothing for work, but it's usually because there is a need.

Though not eating it for a month would a good one for people to do.

#22 ·
How ironic this thread. We have just conditionally a new home. With a short possession date , we have decided to not buy anything (Unless it's related to the move) or repairing our current home.

This includes food.

We have agreed until we move in we will only allow the following items to be purchased

Milk, bread, fruits, and veggies. No meat, will will eat from the freezer. We are going to try and eat down our pantry.
No other purchases, except the Xmas presents for and our kids.
We will buy items that we don't have in order to prepare for the move, like packing supplies.

Stay tuned.

#25 ·
I decided to try again and tried a buy nothing for the length of my visa statement. I was doing really well and then today (the second last day of the ban) i spent money on clothes. I still think my visa total is less then normal but i don't think i'll try a ban again. It just doesn't seem to work. Its better i just try to stick to my budget. Clothes is one of my problem categories:) Still i think aiming for a low visa statement is more motivating then a buy nothing month as it is always nice to have a low visa amount due.

#27 ·
Almost every month is buy nothing month for me, except food. There are even some months I could almost go without buying food, due to sale shopping. Christmas shopping and new clothes every two or three years.

I think it's easy when you hate shopping. If you have many years of budgeting, clearing everything out of the daily account but money for bills or rent/mortgage (excess to debt payment or savings), there's nothing left to spend anyway. The budgeting is brainwashing, making you think you're broke. lol

Instead of looking at it as buy nothing month, look at it as debt repayment month, or savings month. Not deprivation, but future freedom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.