Buy Nothing month - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy Nothing month

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    That will work fine for discretionary purchases, but for food, it's not like you're going to rethink 'do we even need cheese at all' after running out 2 weeks ago.

With my last car, I came a day or two shy of making it an entire month without buying gas. And that was with commuting to work, going to sports, grocery shopping, etc.
    For food it actually could work. This assumes that you have other good at home though. If you by just enough for the week, then it doesn't matter.

Ironically, I am on a cheese stoppage at home ur house. We love cheese and different types of cheese. I spend $150 on cheese recently, but yet keep buying more cheese. I have told the kids, we eat up all the cheese in the fridge, and then we will buy more. No more cheese for the month

On a 'smart' device, please excuse autocorrect/when letters are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    That will work fine for discretionary purchases, but for food, it's not like you're going to rethink 'do we even need cheese at all' after running out 2 weeks ago.

With my last car, I came a day or two shy of making it an entire month without buying gas. And that was with commuting to work, going to sports, grocery shopping, etc.
    Yes, but most of the easy savings are with discretionary purchases.
    I put off buying an expensive car, until I bought a cheaper car.

I've put off buying a new tablet, e-reader, camera, computer, cell phone for months and months now.

Though I'd never stop myself from the next pair of running shoes.

I think the intent is to not stop buying food, but discretionary purchases like clothes. However, with a trip to the States coming up, I am finding my resolve weakening. I still haven't discovered how to curb my eating out and clothing spending even though I budget and track my spending. I think it does help to budget but I do go over budget usually. How does one develop will power?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by latebuyer View Post
    I think the intent is to not stop buying food, but discretionary purchases like clothes. However, with a trip to the States coming up, I am finding my resolve weakening. I still haven't discovered how to curb my eating out and clothing spending even though I budget and track my spending. I think it does help to budget but I do go over budget usually. How does one develop will power?
    Lol... I just realized that I don't buy that much on a monthly basis, except food. I buy some clothing for work, but it's usually because there is a need.

Though not eating it for a month would a good one for people to do.
    On a 'smart' device, please excuse autocorrect/when letters are missing.

I can do it.... if we go for this month to AI resort

... leave your ccards, wallet and/or smartphone at home. This prevents you from buying anything which works every time even when you have the urge to.
    Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

Super Moderator
    How does one develop will power?
    Pay for everything in cash. Then you'll experience the pain of handing over something tangible and watching the dollars disappear from your wallet. You will also find that your wallet becomes empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugging Along View Post
    For food it actually could work. This assumes that you have other good at home though. If you by just enough for the week, then it doesn't matter.

Ironically, I am on a cheese stoppage at home ur house. We love cheese and different types of cheese. I spend $150 on cheese recently, but yet keep buying more cheese. I have told the kids, we eat up all the cheese in the fridge, and then we will buy more. No more cheese for the month

Go to the states to buy cheese and then you will be ok. If you are not near the border this will be a problem.

I should say this is a great idea to clear out your fridge and freezer so that you don't throw as much out.

Regarding all the comments about food, if you actually went to the linked web site, they explicitly say this doesn't include necessities like food, medicine, etc. It's only discretionary spending, i.e. don't buy things that eventually end up in a landfill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast