Forum Trolls
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Trolls

Hybrid View

Thumbs down Forum Trolls

Every so often, someone exhibiting all the traits of a classic "forum troll" makes an appearance. I believe we have one such in our midst now. I'm guessing that "Admin" knows of this, as they no doubt have received many complaints.

What to do about it is another thing. An experienced troll, in control of her* emotions, will no doubt increase traffic to a forum, thereby giving pause to thoughts of banning her. Eventually, the troll will self destruct, but how many forum members will have left before that happens?

When responding to a troll, whether she is coming across as your "friend" or blatantly trying to goad you, remember; she is likely getting paid for every response she elicits.

* "her" and "his" interchangeable.

A couple snips from an excellent CureZone piece describing a troll to a tee.
    A classic CureZone troll is trying to make us believe that he is a genuine skeptic with no hidden agenda. He is divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or provoking people to insult him. Troll is usually an expert in reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against them.

While sometimes, he may sound like a stupid, uninformed, ignorant poster, do not be deceived! Most trolls are highly intelligent people trying to hide behind a mask of stupidity and/or ignorance! They usually have an agenda. Very few trolls come to CureZone out of pure skepticism.

(...)

Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash.

When trolls are ignored they step up their attacks, desperately seeking the attention they crave. Their messages become more and more foul, and they post ever more of them.

Alternatively, they may protest that their right to free speech is being curtailed.

Perhaps the most difficult challenge for a webmaster is deciding whether to take steps against a troll that a few people find entertaining. Some trolls do have a creative spark and have chosen to squander it on being disruptive. There is a certain perverse pleasure in watching some of them. Ultimately, though, the webmaster has to decide if the troll actually cares about putting on a good show for the regular participants, or is simply playing to an audience of one -- himself.
    http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp

Please use the 'report post ' button for posts that you feel do not meet forum guidelines and we will have a look.
    Million Dollar Journey - Follow my journey to one million in net worth..

+1. Getting a little tired of reading someone's posts.
    Last edited by Jungle; 2012-01-18 at 11:35 AM.

There's always the ignore function!

How it work for a troll to get paid for responses that they elicit?

Other than someone having no life, and having either received too few or too many hugs when they were a child, I really don't understand why someone would waste their time doing this.

I'm curious who people are bugged by. You could make a case that Belguy was a troll, maybe, but I don't think so.

the time has come, the walrus said
    to think of many things,
    of shoes and ships and banning trolls
    and cabbages and kings.

Administrator CanadianCapitalist's Avatar
    I agree with you guys that the member concerned was poisoning the well here. Banned.
    Canadian Capitalist -- Helping you invest & prosper

I 'm still here so phew it wasn't me! And obviously I am not here enough as I have no clue either haha

^ No kidding!

You never know around here who is up to devious intents, who is just out for discussion and controversy, and what the great censors will regard as trollish behaviour.

I had to look up a formal definition of internet troll, and I know alot of us could be classified as such.

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast