Canadian Money Forum banner

Selling and Buying Back In

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Eclectic12 
#1 ·
Hi, I own a Canadian dividend mutual fund outside a RRSP and I would like to lock in some gains by selling and then buying a t-bill fund. What are the tax implications for the 2017 tax year? I would also like to buy more of the dividend fund with new cash. Should I just hold my units instead and buy the t-bill fund directly with new cash? Thanks.

#2 ·
Well, it depends if you want to pay tax or not. If you sell, you lock in the gains and you have to then pay tax on those gains. If you just keep it, and put your new money into the t-bill fund, then you won't have to pay taxes now (except for on the dividends, of course).

If this is a low-income year for you, it might be a good idea to lock in the gains and pay tax on them while you're in a lower tax bracket. But if not, it's probably better to defer the taxes for a later year.

#3 ·
Hi, I own a Canadian dividend mutual fund outside a RRSP and I would like to lock in some gains by selling and then buying a t-bill fund. What are the tax implications for the 2017 tax year?
While held in the RRSP, there are no tax implications .... if on the other hand, you plan to withdraw the full $$$ from RRSP, the $$$ withdrawn are reported as income.

Longer term, selling for a gain increases the value of the RRSP so that there are more $$$ that will need to be withdrawn in the future. Most have lower income in retirement so it works out well.

... Should I just hold my units instead and buy the t-bill fund directly with new cash?
Depends ... if you are going to re-buy, are there any costs?
How likely do you think there would be a significant drop in the MF prices?

Well, it depends if you want to pay tax or not. If you sell, you lock in the gains and you have to then pay tax on those gains ...
If the OP sells then *withdraws from the RRSP* ... then yes. I doubt a withdrawal is in the plan as the OP talks about using new cash to re-buy, presumably in the RRSP.
The OP needs to confirm whether the proceeds are staying in the RRSP, in which case there's no tax implications.

Cheers

#5 ·
Apparently I had too much egg nog or celebrated too long .... :eek2:

Post # 2 covers it nicely then ... I would add though that most of the gain should be capital gains so it is one of the better taxes to be paying (i.e. cheapest or second cheapest).

Then too, where one is sure there will be a cheaper buying opportunity (how many are right?) ... selling could work nicely.

Also ... if the OP has some capital losses from previous years or can sell by Dec 24th in 2017, the losses will reduce or eliminate the CG to pay taxes on.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.