Canadian Money Forum banner

CML Healthcare (CLC.TO)

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Sherlock 
#1 ·
I want to diversify and I don't yet own anything in the healthcare sector so I'm looking at this. They're a provider of medical testing labs, not an area I know a lot about but I figure as our population is aging this should do well. Thoughts?

Dividend around 8%.

#2 ·
Thought I was the only one that followed this one. CLC ran into some problems with an expansion into the US which ended rather badly, and some concern earlier this year about their contracts with the Ontario Govt which turned out okay. As long as they can maintain their lab contracts with the Ontario govt, I would say that their yield is bullet proof. I still like it and hold it but it does require some monitoring.

#5 · (Edited)
CLC's venture into the USA was a disaster, their profit margin was, if I remember correctly, about 3-5% in the USA as opposed to 26-28% in Canada. Selling the USA operations, is a strong positive.

The future growth for them in Canada would be in Imaging and when cross registration of physicians in Canada is finally through, and with digital imaging which can easily be sent from one place to another, their size alone should make them competitive.

Their laboratory work is more a bread and butter type of income with capped funding from the Ontario Health ministry.

They have just written off $50 million (equipment and goodwill) after selling their USA business and consequently their quarterly financials look bad. They seem to have their expenses under control now - about 2-3 yrs ago it was rising faster than their income.

#6 · (Edited)
The stock fell about 5% Friday afternoon after someone on BNN said he sold it and is now short the stock

This could be a great opportunity since the 7.7% dividend is safe based on the conference calls during the week when the fee changes were discussed. They actually said there was more opportunities in the private health care sectors based on the changes. The financials look good and I'll be adding to my small position

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.