Canadian Money Forum banner

What is your favourite Canadian dividend investment (stock, reit, etf, etc) and why?

14K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  J3ff 
#1 ·
I like to continue adding to dividend stocks, just wondering what your favourite one is and why.

#9 · (Edited)
I consider it extremely dangerous to have a favorite stock or fall in love with a company...

That being said I have owned CHE.UN for quite some time. It is a boring industrial products company that produces sulphur products globally. It churns out a stable and healthy dividend each month and with the exception of a plant fire a few years ago it never sees the headlines including analyst coverage. Definitely a good stock to have as a long term hold with an economic moat. This stock is the largest equity in my portfolio, am currently overweight and underwater on the price of this stock (just by a little) but the dividends have made this a profitable endeavor for me. However, I do not sell for the purpose of rebalancing. I will just have to money up with some of those nice dividends while I find an opportunity to deploy some money elsewhere for the purpose of reallocation. I guess we'll see if the Greeks will mess with the markets tomorrow and present an opportunity to make some purchases.

#12 ·
Guess I'm biased.

But my favourite is BMO. Not because it's BMO, but for 3 reasons.

1) The stock is very stable and has a low beta
2) Because of 1, it easy to see a pattern and a very easy stock to trade if you are comfortable trading on only a 1-2$ spread, this can be done a few times a month.
3) Consistent Dividend over 4.5% Yield

#16 ·
Exchange Income Corp (EIF) forever.

Own waay too much of this. YOC is 13% but it is more fun to watch it gobble up companies. Also hooked on the dividends...intend to diversify but I see this climibing over $25 in the next six months+...bigger issue is handling the capital gains since i bought in at @$12.

I really like that this is not a REIT, Pipe, Utility etc. type company.

#23 ·
dmoney didn't you know you're not allowed to have yield on cost in cmf forum.

the yield policeman is going to come get you for this :)

my fave divv is crescent point energy. Constant expansion. Although i have a lot by now so i keep a close eye.

i for one like yield on cost. Because the truth is finding another equivalent investment is a lot of work & i believe in the kiss principle, so quite often i just keep adding to an existing holding.

also for folks who sell options, it's important not to let cost base drag horrifically below market, in case assignment might occur. Periodic new purchases serve to jack up a cost base if one is short calls in, for example, telus or bce.

at the same time one does not want to let cost base creep too high, in case there's an ugly crash. About 25-30% below market is about right for me ...

#26 · (Edited)
I prefer smaller to mid-cap non energy, non bank dividend paying companies

EIF-Exchange Income: These guys never seem to slip up. Their acquisitions seem to be immediately accretive. A truly underappreciated star of Canadian Dividend payers.

BIP.UN-Brookfield Infrastructure: Interlisted, diversified international infrastructure play (ports, railways, toll highways, timberlands etc - it's my CPP-like infrastructure play), lots of ties to Brookfield, committed to growing their dividend.

I also hold the following: they are laggards, but still pay consistent, high dividends.

Monopolistic-like tendancies (in specific geographic areas/sectors)

LIQ (Liquor Stores), MSI (Morneau Sheppell), GCL (Colabor - I sometimes worry about this one), CHE.UN (Chemtrade Logistics), AAR.UN (Pure Industrial REIT)

Short-term energy-related divy payers in my TFSA for a trade: PSN (Posiden), CMG (Computer Modelling Group)

Crappy stuff I still hold despite an embarrasing YLO debacle :mad: (CWX-Canwell Building supplies -recently cut their divy and probably will do so again, IBG (IBI corp...come on commericial building boom!)

#28 ·
Some of the things this retiree has and likes are;

EIF
Riocan (bought it real cheap too)
BCE
BMO
Transcanada Corp
FTS

Some other stuff including one that is hardly ever mentioned. Reitman's -has been paying a steadily increasing dividend for many, many years now. I am banking on women continuing to feel the need to buy low to mid -cost clothing even in hard economioc times. :D

#31 ·
Here are mine

These are the ones that I really like:

PPL - Pembina Pipeline
AD - Alaris Royalty
EIF - Exchange Income Corporation
KBL - K-Bro Linen
MSI - Morneau Shepell
ACC - Amica Mature Lifestyles
FCR - First Capital Realty
LIQ - Liquor Stores
IPL.UN - Inter Pipeline Fund
CAR.UN - Canadian Apartment REIT
DOL - Dollarama

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.