Canadian Money Forum banner

I'll never buy another razor or razor blade again in my life.

72K views 70 replies 37 participants last post by  Bullish 
#1 ·
Total investment:

$50: Bought a Merkur stainless steel double edged safety razor from Personal Edge in the Scarborough town centre. (Can get online for way way cheaper but I was in a rush.) These ar elike the kind you see in WWII movies when soldiers share. I remember seeing one in my Grandfathers shaving kit.

$30: bought from e-bay seller idiotdoc $200 replacement razor blades. (Dude based out of Singapor) Offered at $11 per one hundred plus shipping etc... In two weeks I had it. $200 blades for under $30. If you look up the details from other shaving sites like badger and blade you'll hear that they are Chinese counterfit blades produced from some Chinese slave wage factory. I say who cares! If Gilette is willing to make and sell blades to me for 1/100th the price I'm willing to deal with them. But these "cheap" chinese blades work as well as the 10 pack of Merkur blades from Germany. I can't tell any difference. Quite frankly I think Gilette employees are posting all the negatives, because for every customer like me who opts for a total multigeneration investment of $80 max, and saves a life of buying 4 packs of Gilette Mach 27 blades for $11-$15 a pop....well you can see how worried they are. Gilette has worked hard to undercut and run out of business or buy all the competition. In North America you have very little choice but to get some ridiculously expensive blade "system". None fo it or the high costs are even remotely warranted. They are just playing us for suckers.

A parody of what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7TMlrDXtw

Now I shave my face daily and my whole head every 3 days. One of these blades will last me 6 months. I could go longer but the tug and pull of a blade becomes a minor nuisance. 200 blades at 6 mos each and my 2 month old son's grandkids can inherit my investment. I've never buy another razor blade again and Gilette can kiss my baby smooth patootie.

Hope everyone enjoys my #1 frugal living tip.

See less See more
#8 ·
One blade lasts 6 months? I am intrigued...
With proper care, sure.

I don't shave like the OP, I just use a plain overpriced Gillette Fusion. Only shave once everyday or sometimes every other day when on vacation or whatever. I dry the blades after every use though and leave the head dipped in mineral oil. Apparently you can extend their life further using an old pair of jeans. I have yet to need to do that though. I'm still using the free razor and blade P&G sent me over 1.5 years agos.

I have two more free ones I've received since then in two more P&G promos.

Obviously your mileage may vary.

#3 ·
You can buy something similar without going through eBay:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...oming-products/double-edged-safety-razor.html

$40 for the razor, which comes with 5 blades.

Replacement blades are less than $1 each.

The most frugal shaver is an old-fashioned straight razor; buy one once and learn how to sharpen it, and you'll have it for life. My barber uses them and I've been tempted to buy one someday. In the meantime my 10-year-old Braun electric razor still does a fine job.

#6 ·
Guigz: Sorry I mistyped a lot. I was tired when I wrote this.

What I meant to say was that I got 200 blades for $30 off e-bay off some guy from singapor named idiotdoc.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100-Astra-Su...720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414da069d0

Now your mileage may vary with the blades, but I didn't feel like replacing the 1st blade for 6 months (daily face and 3 day head shaving.) I could have kept going, but there was no need. If I use each blade for only 1 month then my 200 blades will last me 16 years. $30 for 16 years of shaving? Oh yes, very frugal.

#12 ·
My personal upkeep frugality has gone pretty far. I don't think I've paid for a hair cut since about 2008, I just use a $40 pair of hair clippers every few months and buzz the head. The same pair of clippers work for face shaving. I also quit washing my hair after watching the documentary "No Impact Man", after finding that the more you wash your hair, the more oil it produces. Sometimes it's nice being a dude...

#13 ·
I too use a double edged safety razor. One of my best investments I dare say. I bought 100 blades for $12. I don't use them for 6 months each (more like 2-3 weeks), but whatever works for you.

Here are a couple of canadian stores that carry the products (razors, creams/soaps and blades):

http://www.fendrihan.com/
http://www.rasagepoulin.com/index.php?p=home
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/

Here is a excellent resource for anyone interested in reading/learning about double edged razors:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/

#14 ·
Proponents of double edge safety razors and “wet shaving” often talk up how much money you can save on the blades. Of course, many of them go out and spend multiple $100s on shaving creams, soaps, brushes, aftershaves, etc. They tend to get addicted to this stuff and it does not save them any money in the long run.

The best bang for the buck is the classic Gillette Trac II. No pivoting head or any other gimmicks. It is simply 2 blades on a cartridge. Original Gillette blades are affordable, no name versions of the blades also exist and are very cheap at popular stores (Walmart, Loblaws, pharmacies…), dirt cheap blades are available at Dollarama. Gillette does not make the handle anymore but you can find compatible handles on ebay or at online stores.

If you have never used a Trac II before, you can see if you will like it by buying the dirt cheap blades from Dollarama. Those blades come with a cheap plastic handle. If you like the shave, you can then go and buy a heavier metal handle and save the cheap plastic one for travel. I have this handle http://www.fendrihan.com/conk-metal-razor-trac-cartridges-p-231.html?cPath=116_117_11. Works well for me. I use mix of Gillette blades, Dollarama ones and store branded ones.

#15 ·
Of course, many of them go out and spend multiple $100s on shaving creams, soaps, brushes, aftershaves, etc.
Interesting, so you use a Trac II without any shaving cream, just water?

I agree that brushes and aftershave are mostly silly; I never used those, but before I went to electric I always had to use shaving cream or at least soap (and soap is a poor substitute), otherwise the razor wouldn't cut very well and tended to drag.

#19 ·
#25 ·
How are they for razor rash?

My face HATES shaving and I get bad ingrown hairs along my chin line. I've taken to just trimming and leaving the perpetual 5 o'clock shadow ala George Clooney (without all of the charm, money and good looks etc). It's not a problem at work and if anything, lends my youngish looking face more street cred as a trades person :).

I've heard the 'new' multi blade, self lubricating space age shaving systems actually make this problem worse and that the razor you speak of or going with the uber-cool yet insanely dangerous straight razor shave is the way to go.
Any thoughts?

#28 ·
if any one is interested in saving on after shave lotion, instead of the expensive nivea or other brands, you could try the 100% aloe vera lotion in walmart. a big bottle is about 2-3 bucks will last more than a year. also its good for the skin and a multipurpose lotion to. good for sunburns as well.

If you have a friend who visits india or china you could ask them to buy for you a good quality double edged safety razor. They are pretty common there (atleast in India) and hence its super cheap. Also not bad quality. Also the blades are super cheap as well. probably for 25 bucks you could get a good razor and about 500 blades. Again ymmv based on you knowing someone from there.

#31 ·
How long have you been using yours?

I was under the impression that 6 months was a good lenght of time to keep my Fusion 5 blade. Especially given how I baby it.

After every shave (1-2 times per week), I gently rinse it with fresh mountain water, I lightly brush it with a silk handkerchief to capture humidity and then I use my hair dryer to swiftly dry it with rose perfumed air.

Meh... maybe I should just toss it in my drawer after all...

#32 ·
Here's how I save money on shaving equip. I have a beard and trim it once a week with an electric razor. My neck gets shaved at the same time. A big pack of disposable razors from Costco and a can of shaving cream will last me years. I'm a tradesman though, wearing coveralls and a hard hat so looking a bit rugged is practically expected :p

#33 ·
This post inspired me to save some cash on razors. I picked up the cheap razors from Dollarama, six blades and a handle for $1. They work fine for my face, although they don't shave as close as my Sensor blades. Tried it on my head (shave it completely 3 times a week), wasn't as happy with results, too many contours I think, easy to miss spots. So I'll stick with Sensor on head, cheapies on face.

Thanks!

#34 ·
I'm thinking of getting one of these merkur shavers with the chinese blades. How does it compare to a mach3 razor? i'm currently using one of those and i like it however the razors are so damn expensive. I have thick black hair just wondering how this merkur would compare anybody know?

#35 ·
What do you mean by "Merkur shavers"? a double-edged razor?

If so, then here is my opinion.

I switched from Mach 3's to a Edwin Jagger DE89 double-edged safety razor about 6 months ago.

It took a few weeks for my face to adapt to the single blade (and for my technique to work itself out).

Now my shaves are much closer than I ever got with a Mach 3. Additionally, I never get ingrown hairs (this was my main motivation for switching). My face is baby smooth, and feels much better.

I would recommend getting a shaving brush, mug and puck of shaving cream as well. Much better than the canned goop.

#36 ·
The UNIT: How does it compare to a mach 3? Infinitely cheaper! Longer lasting, easier rinsing. cheaper replacing.

Shave wise you'll need to be careful. I was so used to shaving with my Mach 3 that I lost any sense of technique. When I first tried the Double edged safety razor I was used to pressing down on my skin. I sliced off a nice chunk of skin, like those wire cheese cutters. Talk about razor burn.

I almost feel a new razor is too sharp. You have to be very gentle and careful fro the first three shaves with every new blade, after than you can shave pretty much the same.

As for closeness, it is 100% identical, except that single bladed DE razors don't get clogged like multiblade cartriges do, and they rinse instantly. They also don't break. My Merkur razor is 100% stainless steel. It will not rust. It will not break.

My only regret is not having done it sooner.

#37 ·
When it comes to razors I do my best to accumulate the Gillette razor samples that are offered online through various deal sites, as well as gather them from local fairs when vendors give them away as promos.

Seems to do be decently well. I rarely have to purchase Gillette blade replacements.

#38 ·
So what's the difference between a "double edge razor" and a "double edge safety razor" ?

http://www.personaledge.com/on/l1-mens_shaving-traditional_shaving-1-17-239-245.php

How does this type of shaver compare to say a gilette sensor excel? (older 2 blade style) The quality of cut I mean. I usually have to take two swipes with the excel to get all the hair off. Is it just as smooth? Harder on the skin? Are you able to write up a bit of a comparison between the two?

I agree the blade "systems" available here in north america are such a wasteee$$

Matt

#39 ·
There is no difference. They are both "safety" razors, because most of the blade is not exposed (like a straight razor would be).

There are a lot of comparisons available online. I suggest reading the forums at Badger and Blade.

For me, I usually make three passes with my double-edged razor. my face feels MUCH better after a shave nowadays than it did back in my Mach 3 days.

#42 ·
One trick to extend the life of your blades (I use Gillette Fusion for reference) is to run them backwards about 20 times against the meatiest part of your palm.

Press firmly, and "shave" backwards against the palm. 20 times. So to be clear, backwards means the opposite direction that you drag the razor when you're shaving. If you're taking skin off your hand - go the other way! :)

Now try shaving.

You won't believe it until you try it, but it works like a charm. I believe you'll only want to do this once per month maximum.

In fact, if you want to really see the difference, take an old blade and shave half your face, then "sharpen" the blades by shaving backwards pressing firmly on your palm, then shave the other half of your face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.