PDA

View Full Version : Are you buying now? If so, what?

FrugalTrader
2009-06-02, 12:05 PM
With markets up (TSX) almost 40% since March lows, are you buying any equities in this market? If so, what do you have your eye on?

takingprofits
2009-06-02, 01:43 PM
I am looking at pot.to and will buy if it pulls back below $120.

CanadianCapitalist
2009-06-02, 01:59 PM
The TSX is up strongly but US and International markets not so much due to the rapid rise in the C-Dollar. So, my US, EAFE allocations are now below target. My future savings are going to be channeled in these two equity markets.

Sampson
2009-06-02, 05:01 PM
- Shored up my P&G amounts.
- Converting some USD (for near to medium term purchases).
- need to boost US & EAFE midcap and small cap amounts (I wish I could pick individual dividend achievers in these categories)
- I also need to boost my energy sector allocation

also need to buy some bonds as I'm currently at 0% - hesitating due to the recent strength - will focus on short and corporate bonds and real return bonds only if inflation gets out of control.

Lots to do to fix the portfolio :confused:

takingprofits
2009-06-02, 05:32 PM
It looks like tomorrow is the day for me to buy cca.to - Cogeco Cable - analysts have it as a buy with an average target 60% higher than today's close. It seems to have bottomed with a bullish MacD crossover.

You gotta like that!

whitegoodman
2009-06-02, 06:43 PM
I have used these last couple of months to take advantage of the low prices for TRP, BCE, GWO and added them to my new account ..... it was an opportunity to open a position in some very good core holding type companies in a newly formed non-registered account for dividend payers.

While my retirement will be looked after by my DB pension and my TFSA holds IPL.UN ..... I saw the chance to start an account with solid dividend payers at great yields, and intend to add to these positions as extra funds become available.

I will also be looking to enter positions in FTS, T, BNS, and RY .... it's like my own large cap dividend fund with out the fees ! :)

wg

Retired at 31
2009-06-02, 07:27 PM
I have used these last couple of months to take advantage of the low prices for TRP, BCE, GWO and added them to my new account ..... it was an opportunity to open a position in some very good core holding type companies in a newly formed non-registered account for dividend payers.

While my retirement will be looked after by my DB pension and my TFSA holds IPL.UN ..... I saw the chance to start an account with solid dividend payers at great yields, and intend to add to these positions as extra funds become available.

I will also be looking to enter positions in FTS, T, BNS, and RY .... it's like my own large cap dividend fund with out the fees ! :)

wg

I've been doing the similar thing. td, ret.a, fts, trp and t the ones I've been adding to. The latter three are still in and around their march levels.

The_Number
2009-06-02, 08:16 PM
Yup. Just added another 4k to xsp.to last week.

Brad911
2009-06-02, 09:54 PM
My only purchase since the end of March in my CDN portfolio was to top up on some Shoppers Drug Mart (SC) today because it fell below my target allocation (<3%). Not a whole lot of value out there right now compared to where we came from and the lack of transparency for earnings.

I'm fully invested (using leverage) and I'll pay off my LOC while I wait for a pullback in the market (which I see an inevitable).

msimms
2009-06-02, 10:00 PM
US Equities Best deals I've found below out of a list researched from about 250 companies:

Johnson and Johnson (JNJ) until it reaches $69.00 (15 * trailing eps)
Sysco (SYY) until it reaches $28.50 (16 * trailing eps)

After that, I dunno what i'm going to do unless the market comes back down. Maybe sit on cash until the next debacle 10 years from now.

wx_junkie
2009-06-02, 10:46 PM
Added TLM to my SM portfolio today.

Funny thing, 99% of my SM portfolio are dividend payers, but my biggest gainer, Paladin, is one of only 2 holdings that does not pay dividends (the other is Timminco). Up 30.1% since April 23rd.

Cheers.

FinancialJungle
2009-06-02, 11:28 PM
Almost depleted my RRSP cash on these US stocks: MCD, GD, UTX, ABT, BDX, BNI, and junk bond ETF, JNK.

mogul777
2009-06-03, 02:02 AM
So far this year have sold emerging markets into the rally... China, India (right after the absurd spike), and other rebounders. Most however are still climbing.

So what did I buy? In January global high yield bonds, more recently conservative "non-frothy" US equity and parked a bit in that currently profitless category known as cash.

Rickson9
2009-06-03, 04:17 PM
Cycles and behaviour are always the same. Individuals buy stocks when the market is racing to new highs and switch to bonds, GICs and cash under the pillow when the market is in the tank.

We do the opposite. We poured money into stocks recently.

whitegoodman
2009-06-03, 05:18 PM
Is that the collective "we" or the Royal " we " you are speaking of ? :)

wg

Rickson9
2009-06-03, 11:14 PM
Is that the collective "we" or the Royal " we " you are speaking of ? :)

wg

hehe we = my wife and I.

"An irrisistable footnote: in 1971, pension fund managers invested a record 122% of net funds available in equities - at full prices they couldn't buy enough of them. In 1974, after the bottom had fallen out, they committed a then record low of 21% to stocks."
- Warren Buffett, 1978 Chairman's Letter to Shareholders

FrugalTrader
2009-06-05, 09:08 AM
It looks like tomorrow is the day for me to buy cca.to - Cogeco Cable - analysts have it as a buy with an average target 60% higher than today's close. It seems to have bottomed with a bullish MacD crossover.

You gotta like that!

Good call on CCA! Up over 6.5% yesterday.

takingprofits
2009-06-05, 09:39 AM
Yes, that was nice to see. :)

TD Newcrest added it to their "conviction buy" list yesterday morning and were probably buying it for clients for an added boost.

Bullseye
2009-06-05, 10:16 AM
Still doing regular contributions into RESP and retirement accounts, but I've sold and took profits on more than half of my leveraged holdings that I accumulated from December to March. I'm much more willing to borrow to invest when things are at fresh lows. I'll probably hold my current leveraged positions for the longer term.

Just adding to index funds with my regulalr contributions.